Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Important news

:banana::banana::banana:I PASSED CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS!!:banana::banana::banana:

Yes it has taken me well over a year. I could give you all of my excuses and there are many. But I consider this a major accomplishment. Now just a couple more little things to do before I get legal plates and stickers on this thing. This is a huge weight off my shoulders, as with my current stickers I am just begging to get pulled over. I've attached the results.

I think it is significant to mention that I do not have an Air Injection System (AIS) on the engine. Not only did the shop miss that in the visual inspection, but the car still passed! %HC is higher than average but still well within the limit.

I was worried though because they were under the hood for a very long time. I assumed they were checking every vacuum line aznd emission control for correctness, but in retrospect I think they were trying to figure it out! I had to show them how to check the timing. They told me that it was failing and I showed them how to unhook the vacuum advance/retard and plug the lines. It was a perfect 8 degrees as I set it just yesterday.

post-22799-136027631741_thumb.jpg

A year or so before I left California I took my 78 Brat in for a smog test. The mechanic told me my timing was off, so I was forced to pay an additional $30.00 for this 5 minute adjustment. The car ran terrible on the way home, pinging with the least amount of acceleration. So when I got home, I check the timing and see it is way advanced. I called the shop, and asked them if they had disconnected the vacuum lines when checking the timing. The response: "The book doesn't say anything about that". What a bunch of idiots. The one thing I don't miss about California are the EPA Nazis.