• 2 months later...

Local sales etc tennessee north Carolina region

85 brat nice $2400

84 dented $1450

85 rusty floor $1000

85 restored very clean drool $3500 went in hours

84 solid could use primer sanding etc $2800

84 parts (won't pass Virginia inspection rust) $300

Not final sale price but demand is there. Example: that $3500 was someone waiting for it to show up. I certainly locked onto mine the sec it passed inspection..

:)

Sold my clean 1987 GL 4x4 wagon for $1900 in January . Sold my 1982 running but really rusty brat for $800 in march. Bought a non running 1987 brat bastard (-87 body 4speed, with a 1984 E81 turbo engine) in march. I fixed it and it is now my daily driver. I been offered $5000 for it but it is not for sale.

Roo Auto sales in puyallup sold my friends clean 1985 brat for $4200 in April.

All cars sold had 250,000 + miles. My brat bastard has under 120,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

i worked on my 1983 turbo brat for 3 years at the dealership, turbo, manifolds, reseal etc...the owner also has a baja turbo. one day, out of the blue, he called and asked if i wanted the brat because it was running rough and his local mechanic (a total idiot btw) said it needed a new engine. i responded yes, but was broke. "well i only want 500 if i sell to you..."

"i'll be there saturday" it was running waiting for me in front of it's barn. had to replace ignition switch, and it has a decent paint job, but some pretty extensive cancer underneath, windshield leaks when it rains hard. but i've put 30k miles in 2 years. ecm popped an injector driver, but i am getting that fixed now.

i found a deal on craigslist for 2500 for an 84 carb model. drove down in the 83 to check it out. got the owner down to 1500, waited 3 months, then picked up for 1300 out the door. it's a runner, only minimal rust (below the step and at the shock tower in the bed). now i'm planning to swap the turbo driveline into the 84, and swap a spare outback xt auto driveline into the 83. win win!!

the key to these collector cars (and yes, these are collector cars, just like my syclone) is to simply insure them at the value you want. databases like these help, but insuring for proper value to begin with prevents the hassle after. i went through this with my first syclone. had to provide kbb collector value, and three "expert" sources. easier to just come up with a reasonable number, and insure for that to begin with. just like insuring a modded car, if you want money for the mods, insure for their added value.

i got my 1985 brat for $900 in hillsboro oregon, the guy i got it from was a total dumb rump roast he blew the motor and tranny both in under a week:banghead:. but i got her with a crate motor and tranny with only 30-40 thousand miles on them :headbang: but it needed a new clutch real bad the car wouldn't move but it came with a new one. it needed a door, tail light, windshield branch went through:-\, carpet, fenders, and lots of lots of other parts to make it look good.

• 7 months later...

I have just had my 84 brat with t tops and minimal rust on passenger door totaled by the insurance company after getting rear ended at a stop light. (State farm) payed me $2769.51 for it. I am in skagit county WA state. If you would like I can send a copy of the insurance papers. Just let me know m.lauranceiphone@yahoo.com

I bought my 82. All original missing jump seats , exterior pretty denty but faint barely faded. 254k on the clock and still running just fine. From the Orignal owner. final price was 572.23 after title and registration.

Edited by kidloco

• 1 month later...

Hey, I tried to email you, but your email address didn't work, so I will give you the information here.

I bought an '83 Brat this last summer here in Bountiful, Utah. It had about 190,000 miles on the car itself, but the engine and trans were from a different car and they had about 135,000 miles each. It had undergone extensive repairs on deep rust spots, but had really bad paint since it was two different colors(I repainted it later). It ran well, but leaked lots of oil. the VIN # is JF2AT53B7DF504183. The body was pretty banged up, but not too bad (I had a lot of that repaired later too). it sold for $2,600. I bought it around June 20th I think.

earlier this month i got a 1983 ea81 Brat for the low price of $400 ,been sitting since 2002 i got it from the Original Owner because her husband passed away and she can't drive a standard! interior is amazing and only 135k on the odometer which works along with everything else! picks to come! i feel as if it is worth 4x what i paid for it , jumper seats and interior are in great shape,california car i spotted it at a neighboring ranch at my Aunt's and knocked on the older womans door and she was glad to sell it and even said her husband also had an 1982 brat which she sold a year ago or else i would have go them both!

• 5 months later...

Just bought my first Subaru of Cragislist...1985 GL Brat. Body unbelieveably clean and almost rust free (easily 95% or better). Jump seats still there. Either shiny original paint or proffesional repaint since BRAT decal is there and no signs of trim tapped off. Interior kinda rough. no carpet. Engine bay hacked up. Weber carb. Missing AC compressor. Many wires rigged. Missing spare. Odometer showed 000094 miles??????

paid $1500 and I think way under-valued due to the body condition. This Brat was obviously not from the Texas gulf coast originally.

• 1 month later...

mine is an 84 turbo automatic, with seats and a camper top.85K miles on it. Paid 1300, had drove it home. ECS light on.

Turbo trashed, deer hit, hood grill headlights, fender and boor mashed. body in poor shape.

reman turbo..$600

junk yard auto tranny. $500

two junkyard grilles and headlamp bucket assemblies with blinkers $200

all 4 wheel bearings $200

reman ECM $450

2 fuel injectors $150

Reman Distributor $250

reman MAF assy $300

4 spare t tops $150

factory brush guard $250

Set of extra Alum checker rims $100

Complete parts brat 86 carb, manual tranny great interior.. $600

extra pair of rear seats $100

Junkyard fender.. $25

I need a hood,

mine is an 84 turbo automatic, with seats and a camper top.85K miles on it. Paid 1300, had drove it home. ECS light on.

Turbo trashed, deer hit, hood grill headlights, fender and boor mashed. body in poor shape.

reman turbo..$600

junk yard auto tranny. $500

two junkyard grilles and headlamp bucket assemblies with blinkers $200

all 4 wheel bearings $200

reman ECM $450

2 fuel injectors $150

Reman Distributor $250

reman MAF assy $300

4 spare t tops $150

factory brush guard $250

Set of extra Alum checker rims $100

Complete parts brat 86 carb, manual tranny great interior.. $600

extra pair of rear seats $100

Junkyard fender.. $25

I need a hood,

You could have bought a perfect brat for that kind of money.

I Bought my 87 , (ea81, 4MT, D/R) 7 years ago with 95K miles for NZ$2500 in very good condition (no rust) however motor tired using oil but still running ok even now haven't had to do anything to it apart from the usual plugs/points tyres battery oil filters etc

A rough untidy (modified?) one with some rust will normally go for NZ $1000 or less now depending on how bad/good  it is.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/brumby/auction-659943749.htm

A really good (unmodified) original outstanding one , seen go for NZ$5500

556996_2348882778184_23166076_n.jpg

Edited by subnz

• 5 weeks later...

You could have bought a perfect brat for that kind of money.

I don't really think so.  Espescially not a perfect turbo brat

And alot of the stuff in that price list is extra parts so subtract that off the cost of just the brat.

I guess it reeally depends on how you define PERFECT.   A truly perfect brat can fetch well over 5K......A turbo one even more

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a really long time and I can't remember if I responded to this before.  Paid $600 for my '82 a year and a half ago but I have been chased down, had notes left all over it, etc. with offers to buy it.  I don't usually ask how much because I'm not interested in selling but the one that did make an offer said $2500.  Can't really remember how many miles it had at the time but has 88000 now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've picked up two Brats in the last year, both exceptional deals.  The first one is an '85 4spd D/R, A/C, with new tires, 101k miles, a few small dents, bad alternator, broken clutch cable, bad CV boots, Gen I front bumper, but no rust for $800.  The second one is an '83 4spd D/R, non-A/C, with new tires, 115k miles, decent interior (just dirty), mismatched front clip with dented driver's fender, '80 GL (car) grille and 5mph chrome bumper, partly disassembled, no rust, one bad CV boot, broken motor mount and possible blown head gasket for $400.  The second one was being turned into a parts car until the guy I bought it from realized it had less than 1/2 the miles on it his '87 Brat had and really shouldn't be parted out.  Once I get the '83 back together, it will be up for sale.

• 3 months later...

81 ea81 for 600

so far needs a new coil and fuel pump. rust in the wheel wells. tail light needs replaced. interior is gone and a ton of wiring demons. exhaust system is is a crumpled beer can and who knows wha else.

• 78 brat bought for $200 needs motor since it seized from setting so long, body work from passenger side hit doesn't have much rust besides battery tray, and interior work. It came with ac, a brush guard, high roll bar, and high top snug top canopy.

78 brat bought for $100 got motor running next day but needed carb work, needs some body work since drivers side was hit, and interior work. Came with factory winch bumper and hight top snug top canopy.

78 brat bought for $350 needs motor since some one took it apart and left it out side in the rain (getting ea81 with 5 speed d/r), body is really straight just minor dings need filled with bondo, and interior needs work. Came with brush guard, low roll bar, and high top snug top canopy.

83 brat i got for free had the motor, compete interior, missing a lot but had some stuff i really wanted on it. Total rust bucket rockers were gone, bed was a piece of ply wood, tail gate was hanging from the top hinges.

84 brat bought for $200 was supposed to run before the guys grandson hit a tree on his property, so it needs body work(front clip), and interior work. It is solid though the motor ran good before it through a rod. So it is going to get a rebuilt motor while im at it.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Brand new owner of a 1986 in very good condition.  No rust or major body scratches/dents, interior in good shape, 180k, canopy, no real mods done (yet), a couple of minor oil leaks (oil pump and left head cover), no major work needed.  $3500.

PM me if you want more info.