Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compiling database for Gen2 Brat sales evaluations

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Surprised I haven't posted in here yet.

Mine is an 82 DL I purchased 2.5 years ago for $2900 (asking $3500). 95% rust free

It had the interior reupholstered (albeit dirty) and a crack free fully operational GL dash swapped in (all matching colors).

Since then I recon I have about another $3500-$4000 into it with all new brakes, lines, hoses, engine reseal, weber, complete entire exhaust, all bushings in the front changed, lift kit from ADF, and Method wheels with BFG AT's, 5 speed dual range conversion with Jerry's kit, Redline fuel pump, Holley FPR, and repainted a lot of the interior/ exterior trim pieces, Short style brush guard and skid plate, 6 lug conversion, radio install, and rear bumper chromed.  

If I were to sell it, I would ask $5500-$6000 and they could drive it home across the country if need be in a Brat that looks and drives almost brand new.

The 5% rust is surface rust and it will probably be getting addressed soon as well as some painless dent removal (very small dings).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bought an 82 BRAT about a year ago. Bought it off CL in Austin, Tx. traded a mini-14 rifle and $1,000.00. Was asking $2,000.00 with a bad water pump. Replaced the water pump in the mall parking lot and drove it back to Houston (my son followed me).

Have about another 5k in it so far. Lift kit, 15" Toyota wheels, A/C repair, interior, exhaust, and suspension. Still needs paint, new pipe bumpers, and winch. I'll paint it, and fab the bumpers myself. Probably another 1k will finish it. Be into it for about 8k by then.

Plan to keep it for awhile after that. Getting harder to find in restorable condition. Especially with a/c.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my 86 BRAT last fall for $2500, but the guy threw in A TON of extra parts for another $700.  It has three major rust problems. One at were the bed and the tail gate meet. One where the bed and the cab meet. The last on is a whole in the floor pan. She runs fairly well and cosmetically she looks pretty good.  

Edited by BRATwurst

• 4 months later...

I bought my 85 brat for 800$ with a/c not working 2 compressors 2 hitachi carbs new tires running but not running well no rust no jump seats interior in average condition no rips or tears but cracked dash teplaced all vacuum lines and runs decent. Auto trans hard top.

• 3 months later...

I bought mine new in 86 for just under 10,000, it was my first "new car", along the way I acquired a brush-guard, roll bar, topper, put air on it, rear seats, another set of wheels, cruise control too and a hatchback and 2 other Brats, another 86 & 83, I sold & traded the last two and the first one had been sitting for years because the original clutch was gone and I just moved on to something else, I finally had a clutch put in but the carb. needs cleaning, it still runs though, I just got a third eye light for the center but haven't figured how it works yet. Those old subaru's would go anywhere.  

I paid $1500 for my '85 a couple of months ago that I found via Craigslist. 150k miles, dings, scratches, and a poor interior,  but very little rust. The motor is noisy and seems tired, and it had a badly cracked windshield. It was missing the bed chrome and has mis-matched wheels, but does have the rear seats, and (I assume optional) AC for what that's worth,  and is an otherwise unmolested example. 

• 7 months later...

I paid $3,000 for an '84 BRAT GL a couple months ago on Craigslist as well. 220k miles on body and 80k miles on replaced EA81. Minimal surface rust along rocker panels and within truck bed. Restored interior and seats with CB radio hookup. Enkei Compe-8 13x5.5 wheels. Grant steering wheel. Horns not wired up, tachometer not grounded, and washer motor unresponsive. So some wiring work to do this month.

• 1 month later...

I paid $1700 for my 82 Brat about 2010 and drove it home engine screaming @ 68 mph on the fwy! Sweet, fun and very clean with only minor rust, runs like a Timex watch and fires up on the 1st click EVERY time. I discovered that the front end had been replaced and under the fenders was a bent & crumpled drivers side brace from the strut tower to the radiator support. No biggie, but then the title had some expensive issues too. All in all, I'm very happy with it & just started to dig it out of the garage again to start a mild perf upgrade on the engine, fab up a cage and bumpers.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I love reading these old posts on Brat values.     I purchased my 1983 Brat GL with automatic transmission, GemTop canopy, good body and 193,900 miles in September 2014 for $1,300.  It needed exhaust system and front CV shafts immediately.  I have done a lot of work since and probably spend another $2,500 to $3,000. Just finished installing lower mileage EA81 engine and hope to drive it regularly again.  I don't know if I could get my money out of it today or not, but don't plan on selling it any time soon so it doesn't matter.  I love driving this little pickup and if it turns out to be a good investment great, but if not then it was still worth it.

IMG_20190401_184524413.jpg

Edited by jdkneppy
Add photo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...