Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crossover/up pipe

WJM

Has anyone ever attempted to make one for the EA82T? If not, and even if so, I am going to make one. I had a factory one fall apart on me, and it looks like its about 1 inch pipe. What a work art to reduce performance.

Tips? Suggestions? Past experience?

I went to get a up pipe fabricated when I needed to replace mine a while back. the guy I talked to said he was more than willing to take my money but told me that the up pipe is restrictive like that to keep velocity up going into the turbo. he did say that if I was going with a larger turbo then he could see why I would want to go bigger. I put a stock pipe on and will keep it that way untill I go bigger. :D

I now have a means to do some fabrication at home so when I do build a up pipe/down pipe combo I have a few theorys.

I would order some mandrel bent tubing. preferably stainless 1.5 or 1.75 and cut and weld with a engine block as a jig. I would also use heat wrap to keep it hot going into the turbo as that is supposed to help.

Email sent to both.

rallyruss: i know that theory for low speed power...but it really really makes the engien suffer at the high end, which is where these engines should really be making the power. Its fine for the average street driver, aka non perfomance minded "normal" person, but for some one like me, who is searching for power power power...seriously, look at the peak TQ, 2800 RPM on the turbos. Thats pretty low. The EJ engines have it around 4000. Granted our HP is up there, 4800, and then 5200 from 87+. The TQ drops of past 2800, I would like to move it to the 3000-4000 range, and push those HP figures up as well, not the RPM way, but just increase the figures. That and a DP, I am sure that we would pick up 10-15 HP alone from those mods. I do have the parts to make a Jig (extra turbo, heads, block, engine crossmember)...its jsut that I dont have the time, and I dont ahve a welder. I can get the pipe! Thats about it.

I think a WRX TD04 turbo charger would do well on these engines. They will flow enough air, although may be a bit laggy under 3.5K.

They're up for grabs on Ebay.com. (I bougt a new one and a 1500mi used one in one sale for 300 US$ a while back)

WJM, I didnt say not to do it. I am just shareing what little I know. by all means go for it an and let us know how it runs.

I should have also mentioned that I am running a modified down pipe on the RX and a subespeed one on thw wagon. they both help performance a good bit.

To add a bigger turbo to your EA82 you will need flanges for mounting and new downpipe as well. The EJ cross over will not work as it is a dual port exhaust vs single port exhaust. Ideally you want your restriction/backpressure before the turbo with almost zero backpressure after the turbo.

I know that about the mounting.

The means of zero back pressure behind the turbo, i know that.

Now...before the turbo...thats where I have not gone before. I was thinking...make the pipes from each side the same size as the actual port...then size it down at the "Y" to the turbo.

Also.......massive idea I have had for a while about reducing turbo lag for large turbos....Jet engine exhaust nozzle. hehehehehe.