Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toyota timing belt anyone?

Anyone know anything about a 97 4 runner timing belt? My friend bought one with 60,000 miles on it years ago. It now as 250,000 and he's never changed the belt!

Anyway, wondering how hard it is and if there's any special things to consider. I've pointed him to the online ebay kits.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's anything like the early 4Runner 3VZE 3.0L V6 it's a pain in the arse. The main crank pully needs to come off,rad comes out, water pump, and a whole bunch of other crap is in the way. Replace the water pump while your at it. trust me you NEVER want to do it again.

I'd reccomend asking on the 4x4wire or searching under the Toyota section for some first hand advice on the newer model V6. Might be alot easier.

Here's what mine looked like 1/2 way though. Kept finding bad sensors and split hoses. Sucked. Took about a month to fix.

30l2.jpg

• 1 month later...

The 5VZ is pretty easy, I've done a couple. The tensioner is kind of a pain in the rump roast to compress, but you don't even have to take the radiator out. You do have to drain it though since the upper hose is in the way, and the service manual says you have to unbolt the AC compressor and power steering pump, but I didn't have to touch the AC compressor on the one I did, and I was able to remove the tensioner for the power steering without actually taking the pump out.

I do agree, the 3VZ timing belts are a pain in the arse!

(3VZ = 3 liter, 5VZ = 3.4 liter) the 5VZ is the better of the two, 3VZs are known for blowing head gaskets, but apperently there was a recall on them, and in most cases if you have one that's never had the modifications performed and it blows a head gasket, Toyota will replace it.