Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY EA81 Tranny Mounts

*UPDATE - 2/25/04*

*These mounts failed in testing due to melting from exhaust temperatures. Please go here for the latest on this topic*

*Update - 8/11/04*

*Actually - they didn't melt from exhaust - I neglected to wait long enough for them to cure. 48 hours at least is a MUST or they will not be fully cured*

Well - I had read a couple articles online about polyurethane tranny mounts, and how they are better than rubber, etc.... and I found an article on how to make your own honda civic torque mounts using polyurethane windsheild goo. I am currently replacing a tranny in a friends 82 Brat, and the tranny mounts are shot. The alternatives were buy new ones ($55 each - OUCH!), or get junk yard ones which probably wouldn't be much better that what he had - seeing as they are all nearly 20 years old by now.... so I decided it was time to give this polyurethane stuff a try:

First a shot of what the old mounts looked like - both before I cleaned them (I used that orange hand cleaner stuff....), and after:

before.jpg

before_cleaned.jpg

Now for a couple shots of the finished product:

after.jpg

after2.jpg

They are solidifying nicely - I'll be installing them tommorow...

Here's a link to the article that gave me this idea.... he shows a pic of the tube of stuff I used - I got the same stuff at NAPA:

http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

GD

i used the same type of stuff.

You can actually get Moldable Polyurethane from a plastics supply place.

I think it's called Flexane, and is a 2 part urethane. Mix it together, make a little bit of a mold with duct tape, and pour in the urethane. leave them for about a day and they are like Hockey pucks.

I did the same thing in my justy. But i did all motor and tranny mounts. Now you can grab the top of the motor, and reef on it as hard as you want, an dit doesn't move an inch. You can actually move the car by reefing on the motor.

Only downside, is at Idle the hole dash and stuff rattles a little bit. But that's ok

I've seen the moldable stuff that you mix - but it's really soupy, and you *must* have a mold. This stuff is more like a paste, and no mold is needed. I may do up a batch of the other stuff if I like these, and make a bunch of sets of these - maybe even offer them to other board members on the cheap. Heck - if I have a mold, I might as well make a few of em.

GD

• 1 month later...

GD, count me in for a set of those. Now I have an '84 Brat with an '88 5 speed tranny. I'm assuming the same will work with the other mounts. I'll pull a few sets of mounts for you so you have some extra to work with. I wonder if this would work on the sway bar mounts?

• 5 months later...

the link at the top does NOT work :banghead:

does the "super weatherstrip adhesive" work good?

I bught 08008, black, 5oz.

how many tubes are needed to do a mount?

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GSN04SFBB0gs/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/bgel_GSYHNJB2MYbl/gvel_J80MWCFZCDgl/theme_us_innovativesolutions_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

I got some Windo-weld at Advance Auto Parts....

here's a page on home made mounts as well...

http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

I did both my tranny mounts and my motor mounts. they are very solid now. as in ALMOST NO MOVEMENT. I can shake the car by grabbing onto the oil filler tube.

I did not drill holes through the rubber though, just cleaned them up really good, and filled in all the other areas with the urethane. I had another good set of tranny mounts that I used, since my originals were so deformed.

my axles are lasting better now, as before the tranny mounts were totally disintegrated and I kept over extending them from the side to side tranny movement.

With the motor mounts done too, I have a more vibration in the cab. But I don't get hardly any front end raise when taking off....

the link at the top does NOT work :banghead:

does the "super weatherstrip adhesive" work good?

I bught 08008, black, 5oz.

how many tubes are needed to do a mount?

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GSN04SFBB0gs/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/bgel_GSYHNJB2MYbl/gvel_J80MWCFZCDgl/theme_us_innovativesolutions_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

NO - that's the wrong stuff - you want 3M Window Weld - comes in a white metal caulk tube. The stuff you have is just a sealant - won't do a thing for mounts.

Make SURE to allow them to set up for at least 48 hours prior to installation. I waited 24 hours once and they melted.

Grainger sells the two part urethane - it's about $50 a quart..... you need 3 quarts because it's a 2:1 mix. Their brand I think is "Flexane".

McMasters sells some too - cheaper. No name brand that I could see...

Also check these guys: www.smooth-on.com They have decent prices on "trial" sizes. Their 3 lb "trial" kits are around $30

Basically, you want anywhere from a 60A to a 90A hardness. 60A will be like a strong stock mount, where a 90A will be almost solid mounted - harder than most racing mounts actually (besides aluminium of course :rolleyes: ).

I'm gearing up to do ALL the mounts and bushings in my Brat - sway bar links, etc. I *may* offer this service on a limited basis, but some things like the control arm bushings aren't going to be easily done unless you send me your control arm....

GD

I just picked up some of the urathane sealer from a guy at work. need to do it soon.

I also had another cheapo fix recently when I discovered one of my engine mounts was torn. new ones are not cheap so temporarily I pulled it out drilled two holes for 3/8 rod to go in and then welded up each end of the rod after droping them into the mount. it actually works really well only shakes when you first start it and at idle with A/C on.

okay my discount is 15% through grainger

found the flexane and it's by devcon http://www.devcon.com/devconcatsolution.cfm?catid=14 here is the list of what they have and info about them and which one should I use? the 80 liquid or 94 liquid?

here is what they have online http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp?xi=xi

and not to get some extra motor mounts for the 76 and I already have the tranny mounts