Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 motor swap won't start?!

Drakien

I think its a 93-95 legacy with a manual.

I got another suggestion from a guy off a local forum, he suggested towing it to a suby dealership and having them write the vin and program it into the ECM.

nah........ they wouldn't even be able to do that anymore I don't think. Most of the techs don;t even know how to use the 20 year old select monitor that would be required. Wait, this is OBD II, well anyhow that isn't the solution.

also....proabbly dumb question, but did you hook up the large tube under the snorkus that goes to the IAC? And all the other PCV hoses? Connector for the MAF sensor?

And lastly the little filter dealy in the vac line that leads to the MAP sensors? Maybe swap it?

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I have not been able to work on the car because of work.

But Yes that tube is hooked up. There is one small vacuum line that I plugged because every 2.2l engine I have seen has had a screw on plug, so I just stuck a Golf Tee in the line to plug it. It is the one on the top of the passenger side of the manifold. There are 2 places for the small vacuum lines there one above the other. One piece can be removed and have a plug placed in it, but I couldn't loosen the plug from the engine at the Pick and Pull. So I did the Golf Tee.

The little filter thingy? Is there a difference between them?

Alright so I got an OBDII code reader and its throwing 2 codes.

P0117

Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Low Input

P0115

Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Malfunction

That shouldn't cause it to not start should it?

It can. Ussually they won't start when hot. But if the engine doesn't have a proper temp reading, it can have a hard time getting the right mixture to fire.

Try simply unplugging it, that will make it default to a fairly rich setting and should fire if the CTS is the problem.

Just for posterity I will mention to check that the fuel supply line is hooked up to the correct tube. Foward most, and on top. NOT the one coming out of the pressure regulator.

Ok so I got off work an hour early so I ran over and tried it out. I unplugged it and it still didn't make any difference.

I am debating just saving up and trying to get another 2.5l motor. I just cant get this one to work. :(

Don't give up yet man, :horse: it sounds like your getting close. Double check your vacuum lines. I had a similar problem with my 86 gl wagon not starting except for when shot with ether. Come to find out it was a vacuum line off. I thought i had them all but the obvious is the ones most overlooked.:banghead:

I unhooked the complete intake manifold/intake piping last night, and replugged everything back in, and its no go :(

I want to say clogged injectors. That is the only thing I can think of that would keep it from starting.

Everytime I use a shot of Ether I go like this - :banana:

I don't have the radiator fans in the car. Would that make any difference?

When you shoot in a spray of starting fluid, it will start, the kill right after.

Since the fans are not plugged in, is it causing it to not complete a circuit and keeping the car from starting/running? I am totally clueless, I am just out on a limb finding things that could possibly be the issue.

I am going to try it with the fans tomorrow morning before work. Just to see. I am *Crossing fingers* on this. :confused:

If that doesn't work then a new fuel filter and fuel pump it is.

Alright so I was able to buy myself a 7 Function Digital Multimeter. Tried the #2 injector. Well, either I did something wrong or it is not getting any power.

I also swapped the cam sensor. *the only sensor that was still the 2.2l on it.

Didn't make any difference.

I put a new fuel filter in for preventative maintenance.

I am going to have a few local Subaru buddies come over and help diagnose it. I am totally lost. But when this is done I could put up a new post with every possible thing that could be wrong with your car if it wont start lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright so as it stands right now-

The Computer drops the power out with the three main plugs hooked into the Wiring Harness. When we unplug the bottom (the biggest of the three) then we get power to sensors and we get good fuel pressure.

Suggestions?

A little more in depth explanation of our diagnosis.

We started testing the wiring harness for power, and also sensors and injectors for resistance. Injectors and sensors all had the resistance stated in the Repair Manual. This is where it gets mind boggling. There are 3 main plugs that go into the wiring harness for the manifold and everything hooked to it. The top plug (smallest), middle plug (middle sized), and the bottom (Largest). With all the plugs in we tested the sensors to see if they were receiving a signal. They were not. We unplugged the bottom plug, and we started getting signals to the injectors and sensors. We also got fuel pressure, but with that bottom plug plugged in, we had no power anywhere. We went over the wiring Schematics over and over for both the 2.2 and the 2.5 and came up empty handed. With all 3 plugs in we tested straight from the pin-out of the computer, and no power. But with that bottom plug un-plugged we got power at the computer. We decided to unplug every sensor and anything that plugged in passed the 3 main plugs, one by one, to see if we would find the culprit. We unplugged everything except 3 things with no luck. The 3 things we did not unplug were, One plug under the manifold on the passenger side, it is a blue plug that plugs into a little box with 2 or 3 small vacuum lines coming out of it, and then also the ground that is bolted under the manifold to the block, and last is the engine coolant temp sensor.

What we are guessing is that something is telling the computer something it does not like, or something is not completing a circuit. We have no idea what the something is, but it is definitely something electrical and not fuel related.

:confused:

I will do the ground in a little bit and get back with you on that. There is a possibility of having a short. I have not tried a different harness yet. I was thinking about doing that. The ground you are talking about is the one that hooks to the tranny bolt?

Alright I checked the grounds. The one on the tranny seems fine and is clear of any debrie or buildup. Also the one on the drivers side under the manifold is good.Then also the ground at the front of the manifold is also grounded well.

Edited by Drakien

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright So I am going to cheat. I am going to just get a wagon with a 2.2l in it with a bad tranny for $700. It drives but it comes out of gear under acceleration or at speeds over 55mph. So The engine runs!! I will swap over anything I need from it. :banana: I will make a progress thread in a different section. Thanks everyone for all your assistance with everything! :)

• 3 weeks later...