Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine upgrade

Ok, I know I sound crazy, but I want to upgrade the engine in my 80' Brat.

The EA71 isn't enough oomph for my tastes.

I have had it up for sale for some time, but I haven't had enough interest in it

to validate keeping it stock for sale.

Soooooo...

Back to my original idea, I want to fit an EG33 into the brat.

I can pick one up for anywhere from $500-$1000.

I kinda want to make a street racing/drag racing style Gen1.

Now, you guys knowing more about the Gen1's, what kind of issues am I

going to have putting an EG33 in.

Also, I was eventually going to put an STi 6 sp in it as well, so the tranny

issues would be taken care of.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Twitch

Funny i had been tossing this same idea around in my head. As i have the BRAT, the motor and the tranny.

It would take some extensive modifiying, but would be hella fun. I was thinking of doing a RWD only version that would kill tires all day, being able to move the motor back far enough to still use a front mount radiator. If i were to do an AWD version i would probly mount the radiator right to the tail gate and make a fancy luvered gate for it to breath thru.

You would need to modifiy the front frame rails so much it might be easier to build a tube front end. Also may want to use at least XT6 suspension and brakes on it but i'm not sure how much wider that would make the track of the BRAT. Maybe able to get away with some of those fender flares for a cool vintage racer look.

Havnt really done any serious research of the idea, just pictures in my head. Would be a really awsome prodject thoe.

EG33 would require MAJOR cutting of the frame rails to squeeze it in there...

If you want to do a drag car, and want to keep it relativly easy, I'd try a EJ22T. People have been fitting EJ22's in the engine bay no problem, and the EJ22T has the same shape of cylinder heads which means the clearance will be the same as the EJ22, but you have a turbo of course ;)

I was going to do same thing with my old 1990 brumby. Desided i wouldnt go thru with it in the end

I did aload of research on it. found out from info from the guy that built that one in Ozzy was front heavy.

also would have to move raditor out and put it in the back.

Cutting frame rails etc... unless you do what Subafreak said with tube front end.

6spd would be hard to fit in wouldnt it? 5 speed can be a tight fit anyway unless you fit a lift kit?