Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Dual Range AWD 1.19:1 Lo range upgrade to 1.59 {56k warning}

G'day,

Since I am starting this thread for EJ gearboxes only... The reason why I want to do that is that I want lower creeping gearing for hilly section off road and be able to pull out a boat from the ramp nicely..

My task is to upgrade this useless 1.19:1 low range in 5speed EJ gearboxes that are found behind EJ22 Liberty, also known as Liberty Dual Range boxes. I am planning to take out 1.59:1 ratio gearset from L Series (EA82) gearboxes and fit it in Liberty's EJ box - It'll be interesting! (Free to comment in here!)

What you need is: Good mechanical knowledge (that you would be able to remember reverse order), 2 gearboxes - donor EA Dual Range from L series and EJ Dual Range box to work on.

Tools Required:

- 10mm ring spanner

- 12mm ring spanner/socket

- 14mm ring spanner/socket

- Circlip pliers fairly big/strong ones (inner and outer)

- Pointy Nose Pliers (to remove pins)

- 6mm nail punch/pin pusher

- Soft Hammer (NOT HARD hammer!!)

NB:

Gen. 1 Liberty has 3.9:1 ratio Dual Range. (1989-1994)

Gen. 2 Liberty has 3.7:1 ratio Dual Range. (1994-1998) (don't know about Gen3 etc)

Here is pictures below -

Gearbox Side:

PICT6686.jpg

Gearbox Front:

PICT6679.jpg

Centre Diff (bottom):

PICT6689.jpg

Transfer Case removed - notice 5th Gearset:

PICT6692.jpg

After cracking the box up... one side and other side... Notice Dual Range section above the diff..

PICT6696.jpg

PICT6695.jpg

Main Shafts -

Top one is L series Shaft

Bottom one is EJ AWD Shaft - pretty much identical except first cog differences (that is 1.59 & 1.19 gear set)...

PICT6700.jpg

The Input shaft holder are both different between EA and EJ boxes, the EA one is smaller than EJ one, same goes with the bearing behind the input shaft, So I will use EJ Input on L series shaft with new bearing.

Left side is Liberty's Dual Range section

Right side is L Series Dual Range section

PICT6702.jpg

I need to pull off the bearing off from Liberty's shaft and put on L series shaft (i will get new bearing anyway)

Dual Range selector section differences. (left is Liberty and right is L series)

PICT6705.jpg

I'm still working out but its long way at the moment, I need to start fitting the L series dual range onto EJ main shaft then I'll put it back in casing then will work out from there.. Might mill some off on the selector - but again its long way off.

Hoping to do this once the family goes home this afternoon..

Cheers

AP

Edited by AlpineRaven

Great work!

I am working on a conterpart project to this here in the US.

Fitting an AWD EJ transfer section onto a L series (EA82) part time 4wd Dual range.

It will sadly still need an adapter plate to bolt to an EJ motor, as we didn't get any D/R EJ cases here to work with to hold the Hi/lo shaft.

Could I trouble you, to measure the diameter of the large bearing on the rear end of the Pinion shaft? Is the diameter the same on the L-series shaft?

Also, are the main sections of the input shaft the same diameter? Could one press the gearsets from one onto the other to mix nad match shafts and gearsets?

If you don't want to divert this thread further reply to me in a PM

Or it could be useful info for the thread too.

Couldn't you just pop out that roll pin and swap the L-series collar onto the EJ selector shaft?

Correct...

Then I have to modify the EA selector with two things, there is 4WD active switch on the left side and ball bearing section - I'll post another picture in a min..

Cheers

AP

Correct...

Then I have to modify the EA selector with two things, there is 4WD active switch on the left side and ball bearing section - I'll post another picture in a min..

Cheers

AP

Notice:

EJ Lo/Hi range Selector top

EA Lo/Hi range Selector bottom..

The difference is there is a notch on the EJ Selector, thats for 4WD active switch to tell you that you're in 4WD Lo mode. Will weld up on EA selector.

PICT6708.jpg

EJ Lo/Hi range Selector top

EA Lo/Hi range Selector bottom..

The difference is there is a ball bearing notches, Have to build a weld on EA's selector. If you don't do that, it'll pop out itself while you're in gear.

PICT6709.jpg

On EJ gearbox casing there is a ball bearing with a spring behind it where the selector goes -

PICT6707.jpg

Cheers

AP

Okay,

Here some updates of the progress upto tonight (work is in the way and slowing me down)

I've machined on the lathe, I took off 4.25mm off and it fits perfectly on the shaft - no problems at all - very happy with the results. (EA has longer splines whereabouts EJ has shorter splines - that section is in the middle where the selector moves up and down for high/low range.. (Big credit/thankyou to PeeJay for the idea - it works.)

Before:

PICT6711-1.jpg

After:

PICT6715.jpg

On the EA Selector Fork, I had to weld a small tab & will drill slots tomorrow ((shown next photo after this one) if you don't do that, the gear will pop out anytime.) I used milling machine and took off 2mm and fits perfectly in the box, I didn't really want to machine some casing off as it was complicated and find it lot easier to mill out on the fork. (NB have to use EA selector due EJ's fork is too small for EA gearsets) I'm using EJ's shaft in the selector. (will smooth and clean up tomorrow!)

PICT6717.jpg

Picture of EJ & EA's selector - Notice the notches...

PICT6709.jpg

Picture of EJ Casing and you can see the ball bearing and where the 4wd selector goes...

PICT6707.jpg

Welded a small notch on the side of the selector, its for EJ's casing for 4WD active light on the dash, EA doesnt have that, I think its located in the lever, whereabouts EJ is on the gearbox.

PICT6719.jpg

Inlet Shaft Bearing: I had to use half half EA & EJ, the EA's shaft is smaller than EJ's shaft, the housing is bigger than EA's housing. So had to use half bearing into one, so got a new one - the number for new bearing is 63/28/25CC3.... There is 2 circlips on the EA shaft, I used the 2nd one with .50mm spacer fits nicely - you can see in the picture.. Placed in the shaft nicely..

PICT6722.jpg

Thats about all, tomorrow will replace bearings on the main shaft & pinion shaft also the Centre diff, then clean everything and re-assemble back in the gearbox.... Cant wait!

Cheers

AP

• 1 year later...
Sorry for digging up an old thread,

But why dif you have to machine this gear?

It looks to me to be part of syncro for high low selection, but you don't say anything about it in your write up.

Thanks ahead of time.

Check out the expanded version in it's original location. It shows a shaft difference that lead to the machining.

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13511