Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternator help please

I have a john deere gator (4x6 3 cyl diesel) I found in the desert (I am currently in Iraq deployed) and I have been trying to get it fixed up. After replacing the trans, and various axles, the wiring harness (self made), and other odds and ends, I need to wire up the alternator. It is a 3 wire type internally regulated (delco remy I believe). The wires are as such 1 big red wire coming from the top, 1 yellow wire and a brown wire coming out of a plug underneath the red one.

I know the big red wire goes to the battery, but where do the other 2 go? I believe the yellow one goes to the "run" side of the switch I made, and the brown would go to the ammeter, than back to the battery. I am not sure though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The last one did it for me. I dont have a dummy light, so I just didnt connect that wire to anything for now. I plan on installing an ammeter, but I need tolocate a shunt first. Thanks for all the help. I actually got her fired up and running today.

This web site is the best for general auto tech.

• 4 weeks later...