Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off road gear

SoobieDoo

I never wheel my Subarus, but in my Jeeps I always carry an unreasonably large quantity of spare fluids. Power steering, brake, coolant, oil, etc...because if my rig isn't leaking or burning them (usually is), someone else's probably will be.

Jumper cables seem to be one of, if not the most commonly used tool in my outings...someone ALWAYS needs a boost...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black RTV is a good idea. My understanding is that RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) is almost immediately heat and water resistant.

Sleeping bag and torch I'll bring on remote trips alone, but I think I'll be with a crew most of the time.

Jumper cables I've got built into my emergency thing, shown by my previous link. After I test it out a few times, I think it could be an invaluable off road tool. :headbang:

My secret weapon in my kit (all of which fit in the smugglers hatch in the back of my wagon) was these fold out traction aids. It folds out into a kind of flexible ladder, has teeth on one side, and you put one end under the tire. I have 4 of them, and they work amazingly well. Snow, mud, you name it, the things can help the car walk out. Unfortantely, you can only buy them by the case from a company in quebec. They even worked to get my neighbors excavator back over the snowbank he dropped the front wheels off of.

I think I used my winch on other peoples trucks more than I ever used it to pull the wagon out.

My secret weapon in my kit (all of which fit in the smugglers hatch in the back of my wagon) was these fold out traction aids. It folds out into a kind of flexible ladder, has teeth on one side, and you put one end under the tire. I have 4 of them, and they work amazingly well. Snow, mud, you name it, the things can help the car walk out. Unfortantely, you can only buy them by the case from a company in quebec. They even worked to get my neighbors excavator back over the snowbank he dropped the front wheels off of.

I think I used my winch on other peoples trucks more than I ever used it to pull the wagon out.

Those sound awesome! Too bad there only in Quebec.

You can't forget man's best friend. I always bring my dog.

I also always bring a side arm or some other form of self defense (AK-47, whatever). You never know what kind of meth head hill billy or illegal immigrant pot grower you'll run across out in the woods. In fact, there was a guy 4wheelin on Monday locally that got shot by a miner who had "claimed," some public land that he was mining on. Poor guy almost got shot in the chest but his friend batted the shotgun away so that only his arm got shot. Now it looks like they're going to amputate his arm. Story here:

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090408/NEWS/904080319

You can't forget man's best friend. I always bring my dog.

I also always bring a side arm or some other form of self defense (AK-47, whatever). You never know what kind of meth head hill billy or illegal immigrant pot grower you'll run across out in the woods. In fact, there was a guy 4wheelin on Monday locally that got shot by a miner who had "claimed," some public land that he was mining on. Poor guy almost got shot in the chest but his friend batted the shotgun away so that only his arm got shot. Now it looks like they're going to amputate his arm. Story here:

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090408/NEWS/904080319

No dog to bring, unfortunately. Just make sure that you have a CHL for whatever state you're in, unless your firearm is in plain view. I got pulled over in Gresham, OR. one time with a shotgun ON THE DASH, and got no guff from the PO. I think having the chamber empty while wheelin is a no-brainer also! :eek:

Here's my list. (I'm sure I'll forget something)

folding army shovel

fire extinguisher

(shovel and extinguisher are two things by law you have to have when travelling off road in Oregon, they can nail you for not having them onboard, check your state's rules)

one 50' kinetic recovery strap (it yanks back)

one 20' strap with hooks

one old short strap for treesaver use and if ony about 10' is needed

a couple shackles for the straps

a come-along (mines a 4,000 pounder, bigger would actually be better though)

a toolbox with a small collection of tools in it

duct tape

electrical tape

zip ties (some standard sized ones and some HUGE ones)

small roll of bailing wire (wish I had this back when I tore off the exhaust system....)

two of the scissor jacks

a piece of 2x6 for jacking in soft stuff

first aid kit

box of granola bars

water

2.7 gal Jerry can on longer trips

full size spare

a few hose clamps

small compressor

Oil

Brake fluid

A few bungee cords just in case

some rope

old shipping pad to lay on if i need to crawl under it.

Machete

decent torch style lighter if I need a campfire for some unfortunate reason (and I'm not planning on camping)

For sand I'll throw in a few pieces of 3/4" ply to use for helping out of self dug holes.

And I always have the CB in and sometimes remember to throw the FRS radio in as well.

Always have the GPS as well as maps/compass.

A good knife and my multitool are always at my side too.

All and all when I go and hit up the scales to check. It does not weigh too much more than it did when I was not carrying all that stuff and still had the back seat in. So the weight penalty is not too bad.

A pic from awhile back. it was kind of messy and the chains are gone now.

The Jerrycan has a home in a little rack where the chain box is sitting.

It seals very well (pre-CARB can) and is strapped down well with eye bolts through the floor.

strap is usually bundled up and put away, but I had just yanked an Accord out of a snowbank that day.

messycargo.jpg

and a GM 100 amp alt! don't turn on a bunch of lights and heaters out in the boonies without one. :)

altmoddone.jpg

If it was a DD I would not leave all that stuff out in view. But it's only a trail machine so it's not such a biggie.

Edited by TeamCF

Nice setup! I think you have a few things not previously mentioned, like a fire extinguisher? I like the idea of removing the rear seat, too. Since I'll also be camping much of the time, the extra room would be great as well as the weight offset. Thanks a lot for your detailed list, Team! :headbang:

• 5 months later...

I know it's old and out of date.

But it was mentioned about....folding army shovel, also works as a stool to do your "business" in the woods...we did that in the army...don't forget (some on the things i bring)

TP or baby wipes.

small chain saw 017 or the like.

hatchet

machette

food

water (plenty!!)

flint and knife

tender

vehicle fluids

tarp (shelter)

rain gear

waterproof boots or change of boots

flares

shovel

come-a-long

straps or chains

tools

SPARE TIRE AND WHEEL!!!!!!

highlift

4-way lug wrench

belts and hoses

"fix a flat"

air compresser

gloves

wool hat

tire gauge

tire stem tool

phone

cb

spare socks

spare britches

fire extingisher

FIRST AID KIT!!!!

.......beer.... :banana:

anyway i'm not done but you get the idear

I know it's old and out of date.

But it was mentioned about....folding army shovel, also works as a stool to do your "business" in the woods...we did that in the army...don't forget (some on the things i bring)

TP or baby wipes.

small chain saw 017 or the like.

hatchet

machette

food

water (plenty!!)

flint and knife

tender

vehicle fluids

tarp (shelter)

rain gear

waterproof boots or change of boots

flares

shovel

come-a-long

straps or chains

tools

SPARE TIRE AND WHEEL!!!!!!

highlift

4-way lug wrench

belts and hoses

"fix a flat"

air compresser

gloves

wool hat

tire gauge

tire stem tool

phone

cb

spare socks

spare britches

fire extingisher

FIRST AID KIT!!!!

.......beer.... :banana:

anyway i'm not done but you get the idear

This is not old and outdated, I'll show you old and outdated...

This is a day offroading, not an amazon expedition. :-p

Who needs a first aid kit? I got duct tape. :D

Twitch

ANY day of offroading can become and expedition. :P

:banana::banana:

Awhile back we did a big one in southern OR. Left camp in the morning, didn't get back until over 13 hours later and WELL over 100 miles of desert driving.

All off-road.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99003

Yes some days it does become an expediton. :)

I never leave the house in the Soob unless I'm ready to spend a few days out in BFE. Even for the quick runs just to get out of the house for an hour.

A good gear list is key to not becoming another job for search and rescue.

The real intent of this thread was for gear specifically needed for off-roading. I agree with Twitch, in the respect that sometimes you need to prepare for wilderness survival, and sometimes not. When NW Washington offroad went up to the Custer hole a couple of months back, I could have walked home...along the freeway...and past a couple of gas stations.

The real intent of this thread was for gear specifically needed for off-roading. I agree with Twitch, in the respect that sometimes you need to prepare for wilderness survival, and sometimes not. When NW Washington offroad went up to the Custer hole a couple of months back, I could have walked home...along the freeway...and past a couple of gas stations.

True.

I guess for me it's just that the nearest gas station or even highway is generaly 20+ miles away from the places I go to anymore. Myself, I need to be able to camp out before making the hike the next day if it comes to it.

So in my case it is required gear. But no, it's not required for all. :)

Even TSF being close to a highway. There is nothing on that highway for miles. (and I have a nasty habit of always going out after dark alone :rolleyes: Prefer it that way most trips)

Here, allow me. This is taken from another post I put up in the off road section.

Here's a list of Stuff to have with you on any given day for wheeling. I took it from what's probably the highest authority when it comes to Off Road.

B-4 U GO.

Check these items so you may avoid making repairs on the trail.

Engine oil/oil filter

Tranny Fluid (90 wieght gear oil)

Brake Fluid

Belts

All lights and turn signals

Windshield fluid

Radiator coolant

Tire pressure and condition

Tow hooks, front and rear

Loose parts, ie: lugnuts, drive shaft bolts, engine and tranny mounts

BARE NECESSITIES

Bring this stuff and some ingenuity and you will get out of many trail mishaps.

A buddy with either a history in long-distance running to go get help, or his own 4X4

Duct tape (fixes everything)

Baling wire (prehistoric duct tape)

Zip-ties (modern day duct tape)

WD-40 (spraying under the disty cap helps start trucks that have been splashing thru water)

Ratchet strap (reseat tires, helps hold gear in place)

Tow strap (useful if you get stuck or need to be towed home)

Leatherman type utility tool and or swiss army pocket knife

Warm jacket (being cold makes being stuck and broke worse)

First aid kit

Jug of water

Granola bar or candy bar (food is important to survival, helps you think straight)

Fire extiguisher (tough stuff to watch the rig burn to the ground before you walk home)

Flash light (hard to walk home in the dark after you watch your rig burn to the ground)

Matches/lighter

WHAT WE ALWAYS BRING

If going wheeling for the day this is a good list of tools to bring

Tool bag containing:

Screw drivers

Pliers (dikes, needle-nose, channel locks, vice grips)

Hammer

Wrenches

Adjustable wrench

Socket set and wrench

Spark plug socket

Test light

Prybar

Jack of some sort (high lift, bottle, floor- depending on the terrain and size of vehicle)

Tire repair kit

Electrical tape

Allen wrenches

Hack Saw

PERSONAL STUFF

These will make the trip more enjoyable

Toilet paper

Sunscreen

Bug Spray

Food and water (no, beer doess not qualify as water)

Extra jacket

Rags/towels

SPARE PARTS

These begin to add weight, but it's better than the long walk home

Engine belts

Axles, front and rear

Spare tire

Spare nuts and bolts that are common on your rig

Fuses

Radiator Hoses

Hose clamps

Electrical crimp kit

Lug nuts

LUBES

Different goo to help you go

Oil

Brake fluid

Gear oil

Gas

gasket seal or silicone

Water

WD-40

CAMPING GEAR

Basic stuff for staying in the dirt

Warm Clothing and rain gear

Tent or good tarp

Camping stove and fuel

Sleeping bag and pad

Cooler

BONUS STUFF TO HAVE ALONG

You can get along without these, but they are plenty useful for trailside repairs

Air compressor or CO2 tank

Impact gun and sockets

Underhood welder

Bottle torch for freeing up sticky axles (checking them before hand doesn't hurt either)

GET OUT OF STUCK SITUATION STUFF

Bring more of these the farther you'll be from civilization

Winch or good come-a-long

Shackle or two

Spare cable

Chain (grade 70)

Snatch block

Tow Strap

Tree protector

Shovel

Ax

Gloves