Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off road gear

SoobieDoo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a place I go, that is a big black hole in night time satellite photos - if you know what I mean. Any help is several hours away by helicopter, assuming you can make it to the ranger station to get the call out...

For that I can see the Uber list.

Even around here I take some gear, to spend the night if I have to in the winter, but for most mis-adventures the list reads a little heavy.

I kind of agree with Twitch, short of BFE Montana/Idaho, South America or Siberia it seems little over the top, what no welder? No portable lathe?

It does explain why the Wagon is the preferred rig though :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Well anymore i find myself not wheeling as much. Even when i did i used the jeep. But i still keep a small emergency kit with me such as:

25' rope - doubles for tieing stuff down or for towing someone if needed

Tool box - Really sucks to be anywhere, know how to fix whats wrong, and not have the tool to do it!

Come-Along - for the simple pulls

3 ton floor jack - Jeep sits a bit too high, and i don't like the flimsy bottle jacks

Misc Straps, screws

Power inverter - currently only have a dinky 300w but works for simple charges.

Misc fluids.. 1 or 2 extra oil qts, tranny fluid, tape, etc

usually as far as my luck goes i find myself using most if not all of the above for either myself or for someone i know.

it /is/ kinda nice to be the go-to guy to pull people out! and friends know i have no problem using the 'ole subie to do it with! :grin:

-j

edit: Oh, and a first-aid kit! :D

After an experience I had a few weeks back I'd say the shovel, extinguisher, and water are absolute must haves.

I went up to the top of one of my fave night time viewpoints.

Some aholes lit the area on fire. (proly the Blazer full of kids going the other way on my way up)

I was able to put it out and save the forest service a trip up with thier fire fighting rig. (or for there, a helecopter with retardant)

• 1 month later...
That is the comprehensive list...thanks, Eric! I've got a pretty decent set up now (minus a leatherman), but I'm hoping others will use this thread.

Hey SoobieDoo, Just wanted to say thanks for posting this question a while back. I just got on and was about to ask the same question when I saw yours. Now I know what to pack and the tips and tricks! Thanks everyone for answering SoobieDoos post! Saved me time and let me know exactly what I need.

After an experience I had a few weeks back I'd say the shovel, extinguisher, and water are absolute must haves.

I went up to the top of one of my fave night time viewpoints.

Some aholes lit the area on fire. (proly the Blazer full of kids going the other way on my way up)

I was able to put it out and save the forest service a trip up with thier fire fighting rig. (or for there, a helecopter with retardant)

hey jason, this wouldn't happen to be goat?

i heard from one my schwabbie wheelin buddies today that they closed off the top of goat because somebody tried to set one of the towers on fire.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was going to do inventory on the gear I keep in my 4Runner, and while doing so I thought I would photograph the things I carry.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5467&g2_serialNumber=2

• Small box with spare knuckle studs, wire & ties, starting fluid, 10mm wrench & basic pliers
  • Your basic set of jumper cables
  • A charged and ready to go fire extinguisher (check yours to make sure its not bad) & a couple floor mats

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5471&g2_serialNumber=2

• 2 tool boxes & 1 recovery box (more detail on those later)
  • 12v electric air pump (almost useless with four 35" tires, but good to have on hand)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5475&g2_serialNumber=2

• D.S.D.T (Double Sided Duck Tape)
  • Toiletpaper, protected from moisture & spilled fluids.
  • Tire Plug Kit.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5479&g2_serialNumber=2

• 1gal. coolant
  • 1gal. ATF
  • 1qt. Brake Fluid
  • 2qt. 10w30
  • 1qt. gear oil

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5483&g2_serialNumber=2

• Highlift
  • breaker bar
  • 2 pry bars

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5495&g2_serialNumber=2

• Recovery Box exposed

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5499&g2_serialNumber=2

• spare V belts
  • Gasket Paper
  • Left Glove (dont ask what happend to the right) & zip ties.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5503&g2_serialNumber=2

• Hell Box tucked away
  • spare set of jumper cables

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5507&g2_serialNumber=2

• Everything packed and strapped

This is just a generic set of stuff I have stored and set to the side in the garage so I can quickly load the truck. Obviously there would be additional spare parts or equipment if I were to go snow-wheelin.

hey jason, this wouldn't happen to be goat?

i heard from one my schwabbie wheelin buddies today that they closed off the top of goat because somebody tried to set one of the towers on fire.

Yeah it was Goat. This was the trees and grass opposite the gravel area to the towers though. (to the east)

I miss my weekly wed night trips up there. Dang kids and their matches....

Reinforced the need to be able to fight fires out on the trails though.

Need to throw a real shovel in the Soob. The folding Army one is great at 90* for digging snow or sand out from under a buried vehicle. But moving large amounts of dirt/snow/sand fast can be a pain with a foot and a half handle. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I carry enough tools to take apart ANYTHING on my car. Also have a fire ext., enough fluids to do a complete fluid change for entire car. Handyman Jack, Avalanche shovel with telescoping 4 foot handle. 2 rolls of blue paper towels, 4 rolls of buttwipe, hatchet, guns, flares, spare tire, chevy astro van scissor jack, 2 12x12x18 inch blocks of wood, pry bars.

Basically the rear cargo area of my car is filled full all the time. Along with half the back seat.. oh yeah cant forget the multimeter, compression tester, 3 spare alternators, 2 spare starters, 2 front axles, 2 rear axles spare set of out tierods and balljoints, 1 spare radius rod, spare set of brake pads for all 4 wheels, 1 spare rear caliper 2 rear rubber brake lines, 2 metal brake lines for rear, 1 of each front brake rubber line. few sets of timing belts, few sets of v-belts, various radiator hoses, 15 feet of heater core hose. the list goes on and on. We will just say theres enough stuff in the back of my car that last time I weighed it, it hit 4061 pounds on the scale. Thats with a half tank of fuel and me out of the car.

Can never be too safe