Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Between the Legato and truck, I have 300k on the vehicles and decided I'd paid my dues and did my part by buying a new car after 10 years. Got a 2008 Forester, after looking at the 2009 Forester (looks like a CRV) and had to go with the coke bottle fender lip look and slightly nicer interior. The 2009 underhood was much more inviting, seemed like gallons of space in there, but I got a deal and it's awesome to drive a new car.

Aside from the throttle-by-wire, which I try not to think about too much, the only other thing is the new smaller oil filter, which I DON'T LIKE. Seems designed to fit inside the new rerouted exhaust system. Requires a filter wrench to remove.

Will standard subie oil filters filt the 2008? Now that we have 3 between households, I want to buy them by the case.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=1&Make=73&SubMake=&Model=852&SubModel=-1&Engine=&Year=2008&TempSection=1&TempMake=73&TempModel=852&TempEngine=&TempSubModel=-1&TempYear=2008

mpergielwalkermi97Legato99Forester08Forester

Edited by uniberp

Same gasket and diameter, just wondered if anyone got a cap wrench in there without problem. Can't fit my hand in, and the exhaust is hot when I change oil, so got to use the cap wrench. Clearance to exhaust is close around the filter

If you mean a oil filter wrench, they make one that bends straight down so it fits in tight areas. I have one and it works great. I'm sure a lot of them do that. I would think it would fit, but I guess you might just have to try it first. Or maybe someone else has already tried and will chime in. Good luck!!

Same gasket and diameter, just wondered if anyone got a cap wrench in there without problem. Can't fit my hand in, and the exhaust is hot when I change oil, so got to use the cap wrench. Clearance to exhaust is close around the filter

Do you have a turbo model?

Or is the exhaust really that changed from the first gen Forresters?

I havent seen one, but a larger filter may be closer to the exhaust pipe and transfer some heat.

Blu has swapped over to the tiny filter, but i am using a mobile 1 filter. I have jeard mixed things about the new OE filter. When in doubt, I go with mobile 1. wix, or another high quality filter.

nipper

The GF's 2006 Impreza 2.5 NA I had to buy another cap style filter remover. It's a weird size. The one I bought is stamped steel(as opposed to pot metal/aluminum and plastic like some that I have) and actually can do 2 sizes. The one on her Suby and one a little smaller. Now I have 6 cap type's that take a ratchet or extansion, 2 normal band types, and a few of those band types that tape a socket extension.

Very close to the exhaust. Not just a bit of a burn hazard but I always get a little oil on the exhaust.

I took a new filter to the parts store to get the correct size. It's still the worst fitting one that I have.

Until recently, the OE filter for the normally aspirated H4 engines was part # 15208AA100 -- it's small, painted black, and made by Tokyo Roki, whose filters had proven to be reliable. The ''new'' OE filter, part # 15208AA12A, is about the same size as the Tokyo Roki, painted blue, and made by Honeywell (Fram) in Canada. Some people have expressed concern over the construction of the new/blue ones.

Wondered what was up with the color/manufacturers.

Only time I haven't changed the oil her local dealer was running a promo and she had oil & filter done there for less than 20 bucks. I think they were looking for late model tradins. They installed a Blue filter but my local dealer has the Black ones. Perhaps I'll stock up on some. One Blue filter in 72k is tollerable.

I haven't switched to the Advance Powerflo's(Purolator) for her car like I run in my cars (except the VW TDI) and the cars I fix and sell. When Blue is all that's available I see Wix in her future. Looking at the powerflow the bypass valve looks radically different,

[...] Looking at the powerflow the bypass valve looks radically different,

I've been avoiding the aftermarket filters, partially because of a bypass valve concern. I understand the Subaru spec is about 23 psi, while many of the aftermarket ones are lower than that. The Purolator 14460 does have a spec of 20-25 psi -- but Purolator made the white ''OE'' filters a couple of years ago that leaked. The Wix ones I found (supposed to be equivalent) spec the bypass at only 8-11 psi. Go figure.