Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy sus manual transmission swap

susman

I want to turn a automatic sus into a 5 speed

Will a 95 subaru legacy 2.2 manual transmission match up to a 99 subaru legacy sus 2.5 engine to replace the automatic transmission

I know the pedals and clutch will have to be installed but can that engine even have a manual transmission

Edited by susman

It'll fit........ but, you'll have to modifiy (or change) your ECU so it understands that you have a manual. Plus you'll need a manual crossmember and of course clutch, flywheel, pedals and shifter linkage. Here is a write up for you: http://www.legacycentral.org/library/transmission/convert.htm

But that is just tiddly bits; the transmission will fit up nicely.

the 99 bellhousing bolt pattern is different, but it can work. you just won't use all the holes, just use the ones that line up. i think that means you'll have only one nut/bolt holding the starter in place instead of two unless you make the second fitment point.

everything else will be simple.

buying a donor car is much simpler than piecing this together. make sure the clutch components all come from the type of clutch you want - hydraulic or cable clutch. the higher end cars got hydraulic clutches starting the mid 90's like GT's and others.

the 99 bellhousing bolt pattern is different, but it can work. you just won't use all the holes, just use the ones that line up. i think that means you'll have only one nut/bolt holding the starterin place instead of two unless you make the second fitment point.

This is a misconcetption.

The lower starter bolt is a stud set into the bellhousing. Just like EVERY subaru since 1980.

The pre 98 trans will bolt perfectly to the post 98 engines, and vice versa. Upper starter bolt is an engine to trans bolt, but the lower starter bolt is NOT part of the engine to trans mounting.

I am not sure where this misconception started, but it needs to stop. It makes it seem as if there is some *probblem* bolting old and new engines and trans toghether. There is not.

The lower starter bolt is a stud set into the bellhousing. Just like EVERY subaru since 1980.

The pre 98 trans will bolt perfectly to the post 98 engines, and vice versa. Upper starter bolt is an engine to trans bolt, but the lower starter bolt is NOT part of the engine to trans mounting.

I am not sure where this misconception started, but it needs to stop. It makes it seem as if there is some *probblem* bolting old and new engines and trans toghether. There is not.

X2 every manual trans will have the lower starter stud.

Add the matching rear diff to the list of parts needed. The sus will have 4.444 rear diff, so you will need a diff with a ratio to match the new trans.

• 1 year later...

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback with a 2.2L and a 5 speed. The 1999 tranny is hard and expensive to find. Does ayone know what will bolt in its place. Also I heas that TY752VACCA and/or TY52V2DCA might work but that the reverse is different. Whats different about it. Will it still bolt in and work?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

+2 on the matching diff. If I remember correctly my 98 with 5mt is a 4.11:1. What are going to be using the car for as you might just consider going with the 88/89 D/r 5spd and a 3.9 diff if you are going to be going wheeling a lot and want a low range. I cannot wait til I can afford the Down Under D/r instead of going the 89 D/r swap as I am already a manual trans and don't want to change out my rear diff and hydraulic clutch as well.

• 6 years later...

This is not correct. The lower starter bolt is a stud set into the bellhousing only for automatic transmissions. Not true for manual.

This is not correct. The lower starter bolt is a stud set into the bellhousing only for automatic transmissions. Not true for manual.

Welcome, and I do have to give you credit for searching.

But digging up a ~7 year old thread to make a small correction (which isn't really correct, as it's only true of the 8 bolt manuals, the 4 bolt ones did have a stud) is not really necessary....

Edited by Numbchux