Ultimate Subaru Message Board

H6 owners opinions please

Guest pkdavis300

Hello gang. I have a few questions for those with H6 motors.

I presume, but want to confirm - Are they are somewhat or a lot quieter than other Subes?

The 200+ hp does get things moving - is the mpg still about 20 city and 27 hwy? real numbers?

Lastly, is the auto trans still the 4EAT as in the 4 cyl Subes?

thanks, PK

Guest Meeky Moose

well, i know the XT6 i used to own was super quiet, compared to the ea82 engine.. we moved from OR to VA in that xt6, loaded with about 700lbs of stuff and 2 people, it got 27-30 mpg on the trip..

it was a 2wd auto (4eat) about 150k original.. i think teh H6 of that era was 145hp...

i am really surprized at the somewhat crappy gas mileage of the newer subaru's in the 20's.. just my .02

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I hesitate to respond as I am both a first time Subaru owner and have less that 700 miles on my OBW H6 auto.

I am very impressed with how quiet (at least on the inside) and smooth the engine is. Due to the typically poor throttle response (I miss carbs.) and the 'tall' gearing, you won't be 'launching out of the hole' with all that power - but buddie when it hits the torquey part of the curve or you need to pass on the highway its ALL there for you! It also corners VERY well for a vehicle with over 7 inches ground clearance.

I wish I had more for you but others here will help I'm sure.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest HBDad

Beware of the EXTREMELEY short brake life of the 6-cylinder Outback models. Other than that, the car is just about as economical as the 4 cylinder an definetely smoother.

By the way, I was at a Subaru survey recently, and behind closed doors they showed me an all-new 4 cylinder twin turbo model that packs 250 HP. They are debating right now what to do with the LL Bean model of the new Outback (6 cylinder or TT4). The B11S concept car was shown as well as a serious study of whether to produce it or not (I say "YES").

Guest H6Beaner

I have 30K on my LLB and my brakes still have 1/3 of the pads left. As far as gas mileage, I only got the EPA numbers AFTER I bypassed the cutout valve in the muffler. Before that it was more like 18 City / 23 Hwy.

Guest Chip Hedrick

My wife has an '03 H6 sedan with 5,000 miles on it. I drive it from time to time. Yesterday I drove it about 80 mi, so I am familiar with it.

The engine is remarkably smooth and quiet, worlds away from my '98 OBW EJ25. I agree with the comment that the H6 is not particularly fast off the line, but the mid-range power is excellent.

Finally, my wife (who is obsessive about writing down her mileage in a little book every time she puts gas in her car) calculates that she gets 26.8 mpg in mostly highway driving.

Guest pkdavis300

Thanks all. My interest in the 6 cylinder is two part - I want it quiet, and no head gasket problems. I drove a 99 Outback and was not pleased with the cabin noise... hmmm. This was a 5 speed, so maybe that was part, but my 91 Legacy (5 speed) is quieter than this one was. I AM ready for an automatic, so the H6 would make up for what might be called sluggish with the H4 and an automatic. r/PK