Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATTN: All of you "lifted" nuts out there

RallyJusty

The next phase of project justy is the front frame and suspension.

As with my need to complete the engine/tranny bit (Done!) to design the forward/backward aspect of my double wishbone, I also need to know what I can expect in the up/down range of motion for the stock XT axles.

I am not interested in working at max ride height. I am designing a very durable suspension that can take the punishment of "how fast can I take this corner" driving that may involve a ditch or sagebrush, and if I'm lucky, the occasional jump. I want to work inside the range of motion, saving the maximums for those zero gravity experiments.

I can measure the travel, and predict angles and bump steer, but I have no practical experience with the axles full range of motion. That's where you all come in.

Help me land Leroy safely, or at least in one piece.

I have a rollcage for safety.

Troy

The unit body isn't seam welded, and because all of the drive train and suspension are supported by the roll cage, I will only seem weld certain spots at the rollcage tie points, and other possible stress areas.

The rollcage is already in place. It is tied at multiple points to the body, and I am in the proccess of building diferent style door bars.

Leroy will ride near the XT's stock height. The supension travel question is to help determine final vertical suspension geometry. My concern is that I want the full usable travel to be taken into account. I want that to be determined by the safe usable travel of the axles. I don't want to get into a situation where the axles will bind or break. I figure the folks with lifted Subes will have experience.

The Justy will have the Justy wheelbase length, and the XT width. Which is about 8" wider than the stock Justy.

I will be posting new pictures tonight of the EJ engine to AE tranny adapter in place.

http://petersontroylynda.home.comcast.net/wsb.html

Troy