Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 GL 4X4 Wagon, Full Restoration Starting soon - Need HELP!

Hello All,

Some might know me & my wagon, from old post. I’m the proud owner of a 1979 GL 4x4 Wagon, which I purchased new in June of 1979. It’s been sitting inside my building (beside all my antique Dodge Trucks) for years, waiting time & $$ to restore. Wife & I have decided that now is the time to get it back on the road.

I’ve been buying parts for it for years, so have a lot of replacement parts that I need BUT still need a few items.

If ANYONE has these parts or knows where to get them, PLEASE let me know!!!

1)Lift arm for back hatch, last time I checked autoparts stores they didn’t have one.

2)Rubber ends from front bumper, both sides

*Main issue, my car was vandalized when it sat at a garage back in the early 1990s. Wiring harness was cut just inside the fire wall, engine was damage & window shot out.

3)Does anyone sale a complete Wiring Harness for these Subaru’s??

4)Also back side glass, in wagon area is broken, figure a glass shop can cut this, but didn’t know if any were available for order.

5)Is anyone reproducing the decals that came with these wagons, would love to have some of the original stickers to put back on it. (Got the original dealer to give me his decal to put back on, so it can be as original as possible when finished)

Will probably come up with a few other items as I get into this project.

I’m lucky overall the car is in good shape, didn’t sit outside to long, couple of rust issues to deal with, interiors is in mint condition, engine works is going to happen first, in a couple of months. Then while engine is out, it’s going to body shop for work & paint.

I’ve enjoyed reading some of the post on this site recently!!! Will keep you posted as this Wagon is restored and put back on the road...

Nollie Neill, Jr.

Mtns of North Carolina

PS - I’m sure I’ll have some extra parts, fenders, wheels, etc. available for sale, when I get finished. Several friends have given me lots of parts, plus what I’ve purchased off a few I’ve stripped, or from some of you etc. Will keep all parts, until the job is finished, so I can use what I need.

Hey Nollie,

I sent a private message to you. Sure do have much of what you need. Love those mountains out there!!!! Are you near Boone? We just had our '79 4WD wagon hit and now have passed it along to a fellow in MD. Still have a '79 Brat and '78 4WD wagon to play with for now. Good to see one more East Coast Vintage owner ! :banana:

Talk to you soon,

Paul

Paul,

Just sent you personal message - THANKS!!

YES, this wagon spent the first part of it's life all around Boone & Banner Elk NC. Hoping to have it done by my 30 year reunion at Lee's McRae College in Banner Elk NC, next year. Then will be able to go to reunion at ASU in Boone also. Wagon was parked in mid 1980s, had someone starting to work on it in early 1990s, but turned into nightmare, has been sitting inside various buildings I've owned since 1993.

We want it back on the road, so we can ride up & down the Blue Ridge Parkway in it on weekends and take to Car shows. I attend Car Shows & Antique Truck shows now with various old Dodge Trucks I own. We don't have kids, we tell people we have junk and the 79 is just another piece / kid.

Let me know on the parts when you can.

Take Care, THANKS!!

Nollie

:lol: Sounds great ! Hope you can make Carlisle PA for the Import Kit/Replicar Show with our small but enthusiastic group of vintage Subaru owners. May 15-17 If you can sign up under the Ultimate Subaru name in the draw down menu when you register it'll help us get a free tent :)http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/import/

Probably about the same distance for you as it is for us up here.

You can pretty much count on my taking a trip down I-81 sometime in the next couple of years. Without question I want to take the family to the western hills , see Danny W a.k.a. "drivesubies" from this board who lives in TN. He's got some serious Subaru restorations going on and is hardcore about them.

Gotta run , sleep later , see you guys tomorrow ...

Paul & others,

Sorry can't make Carlisle show this year. Local PCC/ATHS chapter of which I'm past President has Antique Truck show here in NC on that weekend. Maybe next year. I've done Chrysler at Carlisle before, plus come to PA, twice a year for ATCA show in Macungie PA, father's day weekend in June, plus I'm always at Hershey in October.

Subaru doesn't look like much now, but my buildings are always open to people who are interested. Just contact me when anyone is in the area. Buildings full of Antique Stoves, old Dodge Trucks and one proud 1979 Subaru.

Take Care,

Nollie

Hi Nollie, welcome to the board!

Glad to see another person from the mountains here. Most of my family is from Spruce Pine.

Good luck and have fun with your restoration, this board is certainly the perfect resource for old subaru's. Hopefully you can get us some pics of the restoration progress!

-Doug

Hey nollie. Glad to hear there's somebody else close by who loves these old subarus. I'm over in franklin . I just bought an '81 brat that i have big plans for next winter. Mechanically it's great and the body looks great from a distance, but it's just starting to get the normal rust problems. I'm going to have fun with it this summer, the kids love the jump seats. Then this winter i plan to tear it apart and totally go through it. I'm going to post some pics when i get finished cleaning it up. This will be my second gen 1subaru i've totally gone through and i love these cars...might be able to catch up with you sometime.....

Danny

Danny,

Glad to know where you are, know of a couple of other 70s & early 80s around my area, but never have stopped to talk to the owners, need to I guess. I'm mainly into old Dodge Trucks, but this 1979 was the first car I ever purchased new (with help from parents), so it will always be in family.

Now if I can figure out how to post photos to this group.

More later,

Nollie

Ok, here are 3 photos of my 79 GL Wagon, I've got more of it playing in the snow, but these were ones I could locate.

First photo is 2nd Day I owned the wagon, June 1979

2nd photo - is 1983, about time I was parking it

3rd Photo - is current(2009) sitting inside my building, waiting restoration later this summer.

post-6465-136027632349_thumb.jpg

post-6465-136027632359_thumb.jpg

post-6465-136027632364_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...