Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'78 BRAT updated bad propeller ea71 EXTREME VIBRATION solved

while driving on the interstate @ 4k approx 65 mph suddenly there is a noise and extreme vibration as if a tire blown

exit the interstate and pull off, look for any obvious problems, none found :confused:

drive it home @ 3k approx 55 mph

tomorrow engine swap

11/79 skiwagon is the donor

Edited by subiemech85

oh crap. just a week after mudcoast rally. I heard the motor noises that day but didn't really think too much about it. it was tapping some and clicky clack more than most cars i have heard, but she made it thru....good luck on getting the engine swap under way. I got plans to work on my SVX (claybar and wax) and swapping to summer tires and cleaning garage, and need to take a trip someplace to buy dogfood. Sucks to have to go like 20 miles roundtrip just to get dogfood.

Sorry about your brat, i remember you saying you are doing a restoration so are you rebuilding. Probally hard to find parts for that engine though. Let me know if i can help.

if'n you know about ea71, there was atleast 3 versions

regular

internal coolant crossover passage

hydro lifter

there is also possibly a ea71T and ea72

the one currently doing the "shake and bake" :lol: is serial # 73xxx

it still runs fine, just as it did before the incident

the "spare" parts engine that came with the BRAT has the correct date stamp and may be rebuilt to have matching numbers, and will most likely need a full rebuild

the shaker will be torn down AFTER the turbowagon gets it's ea82T to replace the temporary ea81

atleast I have the parts :banana:

does no good unless you fix the deer damage:banana:

replace grille, straighten rad support, install correct headlight rump roast.

all parts in hand

I was driving it until it blew a heater hose and switched to the vw which I was driving until the temps got below 50*f and it wouldn't start anymore and switched to the turbowagon which I was driving until the clutch got to the point of "toast" and switched to the BRAT which I was driving until the engine decided to do the "shake and bake" and switched to the HONDA REBEL 250

rebel250alsmall.jpg