Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a leaking fuel filling tube on my '95 Subaru. The cost to replace from the dealerships are $415 and $445 respectively, which implies about 2 1/2 hr repair time [one dealership said 3 hr]. I've looked at it. It doesn't look that hard. The tube at the gas tank is attached with a radiator clamp to a short hose which connects to the tank. At the gas cap end, there are three screws and another supporting screw a foot below the cap.

Assuming that I can get the tube to separate from the hose, which might be a problem since it's in a tight space, why is this so hard to do. Maybe the hose is glued onto the tube? I just can't figure it out.

Any ideas.

there really not that bad to replace...im guessing the reason they quoted you 2.5-3 hrs. labor is because that is book time...im sure they can get it done in under 3 hrs....If you do decide to tackle the job yourself be careful because alot of things rust under there especially for being 13+ years old and hoses get brittle...

wow, thats is the stealership of them all.

they must have better things to do and just not want to work on your older car. I would call up Jason and get the parts from him at Auburn Subaru/Mike Scharff, since your dealer will probably gouge you just on the part the way they seem so far.

Get the part, and attempt it on your own. Otherwise, this repair can be done by an average shade tree mechanic, or pet monkey.

Edited by bheinen74

Update:

I found that I could buy a used gas filler tube locally [Roz Salvage-Milwaukee] for $45. Fortunately for me, it came with the connecting hose still on it. Now I see the problem. Even on the work bench, it's not easy to get the hose off. The end of the filler tube has a ridge which on it which makes taking the hose off even more difficult then it would otherwise be. I had to break the bond of the hose to the tube with a screwdriver and then tap the end of the hose with a small hammer to slowly baby the hose off the tube. The hose is not glued on however. Beyond this, the hose exposed to the gasoline was shriveled in diameter and was quite hard. I'm guessing that the dealership feels that they have to replace the hose which most likely also requires them to drop the gas tank.

So I'm going to take a try at getting the old tube out and put the new one on. It will be kind of interesting if I get the old one out but can't get the new one in due to the confined space where it connects to the hose.

im a total amateur and performed this repair easily on my 95 subaru. the problem was that leaves and dirt had collected in the plastic guard at the outside bottom of the tube so it remained wet always and rusted through. i would leave this guard off when replacing the tube.

the OEM fill pipe is $114.26 at subaruparts.com

i remember it was hard to get the old hose off, if I remember correctly i ended up just getting a new length of rubber fuel hose from the auto shop of the approximate same shape and diameter and attached it to the gas tank with hose clamps, cost just a few bucks. Using a new custom-cut hose also gives you a bit more "wiggle room" when installing. I didnt have to drop the gas tank. If you can get the hose clamp around the gas tank end of the hose, and point the screw on the clamp straight down, you should have enough room to get a socket around the screw on the clamp to get it tightened up. It is a bit cramped in there i agree.

Edited by splicesite

Update 2

I did it. The clamp at the fill tube/rubber hose was very difficult. It was in a position that I used a needle nose vice grips to get one turn on it, then a 10 mm socket to get a couple more. I took about 2 hours to get the damn clamp off. The main problem was that, not only is it in a confined space, but the nut on the clamp is tight to the clamp so that the socket can't fully get on it, unlike the US clamps.

The hose to the gas tank was supple and like new, unlike the used hose that came with the used fill tube. Maybe the used one was in a fire? Anyway, the replacement slid in with no problem [but I did soap it up]. I didn't take off the tire and didn't need to. I felt like it provided some safety in case the jack slipped. I almost gave up twice, once with that damned clamp and once when I wondered if the tube would come out without taking something else off to provide room. The tube comes out OK but there can only be about 1/4" clearance to get it out.

So I saved about $375. A penny saved is a penny earned, but the pride and satisfaction is priceless.

Update 3

I was at very good Subaru dealership today and asked them why they would charge $430 to replace the fuel inlet tube. They said that the high cost was due to fact that they have to drop the gas tank part way in order to get good access to the rubber hose that connects to the fuel tank. They also normally replace the rubber hose. I suspect that this it a requirement from Subaru since this is a very dangerous area to be doing maintance.

Yes, if the hose leaked then there would be no alternative to dropping the gas tank. But I feel certain that 99% of the leaks that develop of the fuel filling system are on the carbon steel filler tube because the plastic guard becomes filled with dirt that retains moisture, leading to rusting of the tube. A good question would be why don't ALL the 2.2l Subarus' eventially develop rust leaks on the filler tube. As a previous posters said, it is a good idea to remove the plastic guard. The whole problem is quite dangerous for the dealership because any future gas fire associated with the car could result in $million lawsuits even though the dealership didn't do anything wrong.