Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1986 Subaru Leone GL Wagon!

I just wanted to share something I just picked up. I really like these older Subaru's and was able to get a decently clean one for next to nothing.

YEAR: 1986

MAKE: Subaru

MODEL: Leone GL

TYPE: 4 door wagon

COLOR: Janitor approved WHITE

INTERIOR: GL series cloth seats

ENGINE: 1.8L Subaru Boxer EA82 Carburated Engine

TRANSMISSION: 5 speed manual with dual range 4WD

MILEAGE: 218K

Engine modifications:

Weber 32/36 - Redline kit #731

High output alternator conversion

Accel coil and plug wires

EGR and catalyst delete

Other modifications:

Class II hitch and wiring

Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for door speakers

Pioneer CD/MP3 player

AutoGage oil pressure and water temperature gauges

Front badass push thing with four bright rallye lights

Prewired for subwoofer

Power hatch lock and power mirrors... and manual steering!

Pictures here since people have an issue with pictures in posts!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Subaru%20Leone%20GL/

Edited by Dodge Aries K

.....Yeah we have all seen plenty of GL's. No need to wipe your a$$ with people's bandwidth. There's quite a few of us that see dozens of these daily.

1. You would do well to put the EGR back on.

2. It has power door locks - apparently they just aren't working. When you lock the drivers door the rest should lock on their own.

3. It's not a spoiler - it's a rear window dust deflector.

GD

I just copied the post from a thread I made on a different board... There, now it's all gone. Way to make new members feel welcome! :-\

It doesn't have power locks either... there's a switch on the dashboard to lock and unlock the gate... and that's what it does.

The EGR was removed by the previous owner. I don't have it, nor give a damn if it's on the car or not.

Edited by Dodge Aries K

My apologies if I seemed rude, I didn't mean it to sound that way.

And General Disorder is an rump roast. It says it right under his name :)

By the way, I do like the bull bar, you should repost those pics

Edited by Markus56

I just copied the post from a thread I made on a different board... if you don't like the pictures don't click on them. Way to make new members feel welcome! :-\

That's wonderful - but clicking on them isn't neccesary as they are not links, but rather imbeded images in the post script. So anyone that clicks on this post has to load the images. *edit* - thank you for fixing that!

You are perfectly welcome here - but you should know that you are showing us pictures of a rusty, midwest GL....... that's not really anything to be particularly exited about. It falls into the catagory of "Transportation"..... pretty basic and underwhelming to us Subaruphiles I'm afraid.

It doesn't have power locks either... there's a switch on the dashboard to lock and unlock the gate... and that's what it does.

I have over 11,000 posts on this board - you suppose I probably know a thing or two about standard equipment and how your locks work? Maybe......

GD

I haven't seen an old Subaru around this area in over a year except for a 92 Loyale in the junkyard... so around here this thing is very uncommon... hence why I posted a bunch of pictures of it since I haven't been up close to one of these in god knows how long.

The hatch lock and switch was added in by the previous owner. Like I said... that's all that it does... there are no power locks on this car. I wish there was, but there is not.

The hatch lock and switch was added in by the previous owner. Like I said... that's all that it does... there are no power locks on this car. I wish there was, but there is not.

You are correct that the switch only operates the rear hatch lock. That is normal.

BUT, there are actuators in each door, and a switch in the drivers door that causes all the other doors to lock when the driver's door is locked (there are no external indications of this system). Generally GL's and up are so equipped. Although you don't have power steering which is extreemly rare in a GL..... All GL wagons would have come with power locks and I have my doubts about some previous owner installing the rear door locking circuit.... what? For giggles? I think they loaded you with BS about the rear lock to cover the door locks not working.

GD

Figured the easiest way to check was to see how many wires ran to the rear doors... only two for the speaker that was added in by the previous owner for the radio. I don't think Subaru used rubber tubing with electrical tape on the ends to make a gromet for the speaker wiring. I'll be replacing the front door speakers in the near future and I'll take a picture inside the door to make sure there's no power door lock motor in there.

For all I know it might have been a radio delete car as well originally. The previous owner did a lot of real nice things for the car like custom create that brush guard, wired up all the speakers to an external amp that hides inside one of the rear cubbies, and made a special plate for the extra gauges and fog lights among other things. I don't doubt that he wired in the rear hatch power lock switch as it's very nice to have compared to screwing with the key to make it lock and unlock especially if the car is still running.

HHhmmm - on closer inspection you have a real frankencar there my friend.

That may have even been a DL originally. None of your dual-range 4WD consoles match the interior color and it's got crank windows, no AC, no PS..... smells like a DL except for the headlights and gauge cluster.

I think you may have a rebadge on your hands.

That's got to be one of the lowest-end GL's I've seen if it isn't. As close to an EA81 GL as I've seen in the EA82 trim.

The mis-match interior really points to a single-range -> dual-range conversion and no GL's came with single range unless they were automatic's or turbo.

GD

Not a DL... the title stated it was a GL. It is a wierd car... probably is the lowest level equipped 4WD GL. I guess power mirrors were a standard feature though...

From what I can tell on the interior stuff... alot of the blue stuff that would have seen a lot of sunlight turned a grayish blue. It also didn't help it was darker outside when I took those pictures. If you look at it in the light it still is faintly a bluish color.

Edit: Just to be sure I took a flashlight out there and shined it on the plastic. It is indeed blue like the rest of the inside.

Edited by Dodge Aries K

No - you are probably right. It would be too much of a nightmare to swap in the GL cluster to a DL anyway and make everything work as it should.

I've seen sun fading before so I understand what you are talking about.

Just a low-end GL then. Dual-Range, a tach, and compound headlights are about all it has over a DL.

GD

I have a questions about GLs before 86.. I have a 85 wagon with DR (I think you'd call it touring wagon) and it has a choke.. was it not available in US versions?

Kai

btw.. I don't know any DL or GL from any year with EA82 engine and without power steering.. sounds like a list options what you'd like to have in the car :rolleyes:

First of all welcome. Looks like a good wagon with some decent mods. With respect to the power hatch, check and see if there was an alarm system installed and with it a solenoid to actuate the rear hatch. I have done this on one of our 94 Nissan Altima's and the set up operates with the alarm remote (extended push of one button on the fob) or an inside switch. Of course, if this was done to your GL, then the owner should also have keyless entried the door locks. Would have been very easy, especially if the actuators are already installed.

I installed an Excaliber alarm on our 1987 Brat in the mid 90's, including actuators in the doors and three relays to allow driver's priority unlocking (first push, the left unlocks, second push the right unlocks). System still works like a charm. It is quite easy to upgrade even manual door locks to power with keyless entry.

Nope, no alarm and no power door locks in this car. The previous owner ran the wiring from the hatch to the dashboard switch for the gate power door lock when he put the lock motor in the hatch. Junkyard upgrade :banana:

Speaking of junkyard upgrades, there is a 92 Loyale at the local pick n pull... I think it's going to get stripped of pretty much any and every option it has that this car doesn't.

Okay, I changed the two u-joints in the rear driveshaft and reinstalled it only to be rewarded with some unpleasant low speed vibration. Noticed the front propeller shaft also has a u-joint to replace in it. Now that I have the service manuals I see no information on how to actually replace the u-joints or driveshaft orientation! I guess Subaru just wanted the mechanics to replace the driveshaft if there was a problem.

At any rate, if anyone can take a picture of their GL's driveshaft so I can make sure it gets put in right I'd appreciate it. There's a little subaru sticker on it so that would be a good part to take a picture of.

I have a dl with power steering and air conditioning

And you have F.I. too right? Those are all options Im glad my DL doesnt have, I like my cars as basic as they come w/o all that power crap. Although D/R would be nice......