Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Rust ate my fuel filler neck.

Now my check engine light is on, gas leaks out when I pump gas, and my engine runs like garbage. On the other hand, I love my little car (2000 outback sport), just had lots of body work done to repair accident damage, and don't want to get a new car.

Is there some way to fix this that doesn't entail taking off the quarter panel and spending lots of money?

p.s.

If you see this post elsewhere on this site please forgive me. I can't figure out how to post at will and am not sure the best location to post this anyway.

You can replace the neck. It has a hose at one end to connect to the tank that is about 1.25" and then a few screws and hoses in the right rear to unbolt and move. Go order a new one at the dealer (probably not cheap but what ya going to do>?) and you will see how it works.

Just did this about 2 months ago on my Outback. Like Shawn said, pull right rear wheel. There is a plastic guard there, undo a couple bolts/screws and take guard off. Some of these maybe pretty rusty, I broke a couple off doing mine. Open up fuel door, there are 3 screws here to undo. I got 2 out, had to drill 1 out. Undo the connection to the rubber hose under the car and then pry the metal filler neck out. Will also have to undo rubber hose under plastic guard for the evap system. I did the cheap way of fixing the filler neck. Sanded it down really good and found several pin holes mainly where the plastic guard is, it collects dirt/water. Anyhow, sanded it down, covered holes with Quick Steel, its a puddy that you mix together, said it could be used for gas tank repairs, figured it would work for this. Was also told to use JB Weld. Covered all the holes with the Quick Steel really good. No gas leaks now. Sprayed filler neck with rubber under coating. Called Subaru and was told ~$130 for filler neck. Hope this helps!!

• 2 weeks later...