Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so i've gotten one aftermarket and 2 junkyard axles and all have ground and clicked right from the get-go. My next step is a MWE or Subaru. Is there anything like engine position, alignment, or anything random that could cause a weird drive angle?

when turning right or hitting bumps the left axle makes noises.

thinks its the CV or the DOJ joint that has failed?

that's really bizarre. 1 aftermarket and 2 junk yard, you have bad luck or are damaging them somehow. i can't think of anything that would cause problems, they are capable of quite a bit of movement.

i've used tons of junk yard axles with great results (because they are Subaru axles, at least the ones I've bought).

you can swap sides (left to right) and see if the clicking moves just to make sure it is the axle.

There are reasons cars are in junkyards, and we all know the tales of bad aftermarket axles.

Sometimes it pays just to buy the new part and be done with it.

As long as you dont have any frame rust and the wheel bearing is good there is no reason for the car to cause the axle failures.

nipper

i switched the axles the sound did not migrate.

It only grinds when i'm going straightish/right and turning right and only on the drivers side.

looking at my engine/trans orientation it appears that the axles are skewed a little to the right if looking out the front windshield. The drivers side is skewed forward a bit and the passenger is skewed back. I would say it is less than 10 degrees. Is there a way to adjust the angle of the drivetrain. I loosened the engine mount bolts and drove around to see if the engine would settle in a natural position. The grinding worsened and would appear in almost any turn to a degree. I am 98% positive this is still an axle issue because evertime i get a replacement they grind right away but still not as bad as the one i replaced. Going to Order two MWE Axles to atleast have constant in this process.

Any help would be appreciated. it sucks so bad having a car that works in every aspect except for damn CV axle!

wish i had Selectable 4wd so i could just click it into 4wd and drive on the rear!

Im wondering if you have the beginings of wheel bearing failure. You really cant eye up driveline alingment well, you need to use a ruler of some kind and fixed points, like the drive belts vs the front bulkhead/radiator. Have you removed the rotors to check them front and back. Have you checked the brake pads and backing plates??

nipper

new rotors. Everything spins good. Only grinding when load is on the axles. If i put it in nuetral and turn sharp still makes some noise but not as much as when the axles are loaded up with torque.

i have a pretty good eye but i can still be worng. I can see the axle coming out of the doj and one side is skewed more than the other. My logic says if all is true then it should be coming straiht out, or both should be skewed the same angle and direct.

With wheel bearing failure why would it only make those noise only one direction? ackward-uneven forces on the worn out bearing?

Also, this car was in an accident with the last owner, front left sidepanel. crushed in the front a tiny bit.

could my frame be bent. cruises down the road straight as an arrow. i highly doubt it but i'm just throwing it out there.

keep them ideas coming!

Edited by hebrewhammer

im going wwith a wheel bearing.

wheel bearings will do that untill they get really bad and the only thing holding the wheel hub on is the axle nut.

AHA!

Have you got a stethascope around or a wooden dowel. use that to listen to the bearing via the knuckle.

nipper

finally got around to checking the bearings.

the right bearing is harder to turn than the left bearing however it sounds fine and i can't hear any prominent grind noises.

When listening to each bearing the left one seems to be in worse condition but still spins easier. Looks a little rusty around the bearing on the inside of the hub.....i feel like this is a teltale sign of failure.

sound about right...?

Also, any good tips on replacing the bearings....?