Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Legacy w/manual trans popping out of 3rd and 4th

Ok, I have had my '97 Subaru Legacy Wagon for about 4 months now and a new problem has creeped up (besides the IAV problem). It pops out of 3rd and 4th gear all the time and it is getting quite frustrating. I searched all over on this website for any info, but could find none. So, does anyone know any possible solutions for this besides getting a new transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

how many miles? either the shift linkages could be out of adjustment (was there an accident)? or the shift fork could be worn, often caused by keeping your hand on the gear shift lever while in gear. the repair requires removing the transmission and disassembling parts. i've never done it, but somebody here probably has...

My dads 90 legacy use to do that with about 320,000 miles, but it ground bad one day like something poped into place :rolleyes: and it works fine now or has been fine for about 20,000 miles :D. We found that if you went between 1st, 2nd, 2nd gear was poping out that it help shifting, and almost completly stoped the problem. If your trannie has a considerable amount of miles i would try this, but if has lower milage i would look at the mounts/shifting linkage.

The car has 140,000 miles on it. When I got it at 136,000 miles, it didn't have this problem. At first I thought it only did this while going from throttle to coasting, but now it seems to do it no matter what. And if I try to physically hold it into 3rd/4th gear, it grinds and makes ugly noises when it tries to pop out. I appreciate your help, but you are not giving me much hope. Right now, I am trying to learn how to drive without uses 3rd and 4th too much. I have already tought myself how to drive with a bad IAV ... giving it gas when coming to a stop.

Thanks again.