Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am look at a 2002 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 H6. It has 75,000 miles and an asking price of about $8,000. I understand that the Blue Book value on this car is around $12k or $13K but I am more concerned an any typical issues these cars/engines have with them. I spoke with a mechanic who I trust, he said that timing belts and water pumps are typical Subaru 100k mile repairs. What are yours thoughts? Anything in particular I should look for? Thanks for your help.

What the mechanic stated is true for the older H-4 motors. There is a timing chain in the H-6 that lasts longer than the belts. The engine also requires high octane gas to run like it should.

If the car hasn't been previously damaged it sounds like a very good buy but it sounds to me that the car has something from the past history. If you haven't checked Car Fax it may be a good thing to do. Hopefully this car doesn't come with a Salvage Title. When you see deals like this you have to wonder why. Then again, good deals do happen. As always, buyer beware.

You might take the car to an alignment shop to make sure the wheels are tracking ok. If that is good then maybe things will be ok regardless of the wreck. The car is never the same as a undamaged one though but the price is good. Dealer service records are a big plus.

Premium gas, yes indeed but not a real biggie and you don't have to use it all the time. Check the Owner's Manual.

i like seeing previous damage, pictures, or knowing exactly what was done. ask for the paper work or pictures. if it's just a dented door or two which was replaced, that's no big deal. if the pillar was crushed, pulled, and realigned and all the air bags went off then you have concerns over how well the repair was done in terms of the safety given another accident.

my H6 has side impact air bags, and i think this one should too, i'd wonder if those went off and were replaced properly.

I have an 02 H6 LL Bean and it is really fun to drive. My favorite Subbie so far. Real smooth, decent mileage compared with the H4

I bought mine with 62K about 2 years ago for upper about 10K.

I use mid grade gas all of the time. Not much extra in my mind versus regular 87 octane.

I would be a bit concerned with the t-bone. A good frame guy might be able to confirm if it was put back together right. Maybe not.

I would look at the tires also and see if there are any signs of uneven wear. If brand spanking new tires are on it, I would be a little cautious.

Good luck with your search!

How fun is the h6 to drive?
what are you coming from? if you're coming from the EA82 80's era subaru's you're going to think NASA built this thing.

ours does plenty more than we need, i like it. but if you're coming from something 90s-ish you might be a little disappointed if you're looking for a sports car. don't get me wrong, i love ours and it drives great for us, but it's not a "fast" car either - keeping in mind "fast" is subjecive. that's not why we bought it.

our wagon feels a bit more like a SUV than our other soobs (legacy's, impreza's, XT6), but those are all very low to the ground and hug the road like crazy. this car is big, heavy, a wagon, but has tons of safety features and improvements.

I also have found a 2000 Outback Limited. H4, 1 owner, 99,995 miles. Asking $5,990. Minor fender bender and had the back right panel replaced. Are those 25,000 less miles and larger engine yet the history of a t-bone not worth the extra $2,000? Or is the H4 a better bet?