Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 outback won't start after engine swap

This is for my brother, who bought a 2003 outback with 120,000 miles (with bad engine). He swapped in a 2005 Baja engine (both engines are 2.5), but used the Outback intake cuz they are different. It turns over but will not fire, has fuel and spark. Codes were PO340 and PO336, cam and crank sensors respectively. We put in extra sensors, but still get the cam code and it still will not fire. He checked the timing belt/alignment, we're going to check it again. Any ideas?

Both of the codes you gave show a problem with the circuit to them, not with the sensors. If I remember correctly isn't it possible to mix the connectors up with themselves or other connectors? If that is so, try swapping the connectors.

We don't have access to another ECU, he just bought the engine. We also checked the connectors, they do look the same but are not long enough to reach each other, we are confident they are connected properly. He's going to swap the timing and crank gears/pully off the old engine, and compression test it as well. I know the timing marks did not line up when checked prior to installation, and one of the timing covers was missing. This engine is out of a salvage/totaled car. We'll just keep playing with it and hopfully find the problem, keep the suggestions coming as we're just about out of ideas...

2003 outback

2005 engine

i would guess you need to install the 2003 cam and crank on the 2005 engine.

as for the sensors. you have two options to make sure the sensors are correct. check online or call and see if the 2005 and 2003 sensors are the same.

if they aren't, or you don't want to look it up, install the 2003 sensors on the engine.

The error codes indicate a problem with the circuit wiring so before you dig into anything I recommend you first verify the wiring between the ECU and the sensors is ok.
in more accurate terms those codes indicate the data isn't within an expected range. in a motor swap this may mean the cam sprockets are wrong. if he has the equipment to test that then wiring is the easier thing to test for sure. but it's probably a cam sprocket issue, which is simple since he has both engines and can swap them if needed.

there is a known issue with 2000+ EJ engine. some have different cam configs and the trigger points on the back of the sprockets aren't where it's expecting so it throws those codes.

you might even be able to call Subaru or look online at the various online parts place and see if those two engines have different CAM sprocket part numbers. if they do then there's a good chance that's your problem. if they have the same part number then good chance they are not the issue.