Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake pads that don't fit into their holders

Stuck in new rear pads and rotors.

Could hardly pry the old pads out of the holder, gee, maybe that's why the inner pad is almost new and the outer pad is toast?

Cleaned everything up and the new pads (from napa) were the same way- what the heck?

You could see where the metal of the pad backer had 'smeared' a little bit during the stamping and shearing process, leaving the pad oversize.

Little work with the grinder fixed that right up, but this isn't the 1st time I've had to do post-work on new brake parts. Had to take a grinder to some minivan drums last year to remove some material they didn't turn off with the lathe.

The pads I took out had been put in by the dealer, so I assume they were OEM.

I had removed the stainless pieces and cleaned them, and made sure the areas where they set were clean and not all rusty, so I'm fairly sure this was all about the pad backer being oversize.

The caliper sliders had good boots and moved freely, at least.

Dave

yeah, this is a good topic dave. i replied to your other post about wheel bearings. well, while doing his wheel bearing his front pads were the same way. i had to remove the bracket and pound the pads out. i cant' believe they even worked properly they were in there so tight. they would not pry out with a screw driver, had to hammer them out. the inner was worn significantly more than the outer for his front caliper.

i didn't think to file/grind the tabs down but will next time, that doesn't seem right.

Common problem.

I'm usually installing new Wagner Therno Quiet pads and new rotors.

Flash is common and I always file, and use anti-seize.

I also take the stainless clips off and file the bracket behind them and apply some anit-seize there as well hoping to minimize rust (which expands the metal). Clean the stainless clips usually with brake clean and scotch brite.

Install pads with the bracket in the vise. If tight - file flash until snug. Tape pads out, install bracket along w/rotor on the car, install pads.

That endwrench note is very short and simple, so I posted it here, this is all it says.

The problem I had was on a 1997 Legacy, where the article says 2001+ vehicles. I guess with older ones maybe it's just rust or something? Didn't seem that rusty to me, no more than any other caliper bracket i've worked on.

post-6800-136027632975_thumb.jpg

Edited by grossgary

grossgary, yep on the older models, my last issue was with the '97 L. And davebugs, as mentioned, cleaning up the behind the clips is critical to them seating properly. I found quite a lot of buildup, brake dust, dirt and grime behind where the clips sit.

I've had the same problem, most recently on the '99 OBW (now my son's). It's not limited to Subarus. I've had to take a file or Dremel to the backing plate ears on other cars, too. Not every time, and not all of the pads in a set. Sometimes it's just a paint glob, sometimes it's too much metal.