Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How long will a noisy wheel bearing last?

I would have sworn I left '3 stooges style replies' unchecked, hehe.

Yeah, I realize I probably only have one bad one, I'm just surprised that the bearing goes 'quiet' when more heavily loaded.

I surmise that when turning right, although the left bearing is more heavily loaded overall, the 'contact patch' in the bearing (so to speak) moves to a less-damaged area.

Dave

I would have sworn I left '3 stooges style replies' unchecked, hehe.

Yeah, I realize I probably only have one bad one, I'm just surprised that the bearing goes 'quiet' when more heavily loaded.

I surmise that when turning right, although the left bearing is more heavily loaded overall, the 'contact patch' in the bearing (so to speak) moves to a less-damaged area.

Dave

it just depends upon how it is worn.

All the answera you seek grashopper will be revealed when you remove the old bearing.

it just depends upon how it is worn.

All the answera you seek grashopper will be revealed when you remove the old bearing.

Just so long as the answer is "Yes".

(the question being, 'did I replace the correct one?)

Dave

The goodies have been delivered, can't wait to get home to see what I can squish with a 20 ton press!

Dave

Some advice, I found it impossible to press that bearing assembly out with out removing the snap ring. If you have problems you might do a search for (How to conquer the wheel bearing) I posted the step by step directions there a few years back, and it is with the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight also. It was when I did not go back to the directions that I forgot to take the snap ring out.

Some advice, I found it impossible to press that bearing assembly out with out removing the snap ring. If you have problems you might do a search for (How to conquer the wheel bearing) I posted the step by step directions there a few years back, and it is with the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight also. It was when I did not go back to the directions that I forgot to take the snap ring out.

I'm going to be working off the general instructions someone posted a link to, the instructions were over on nasioc.

That and a download of the service manual from that russian site...

Dave

I'm going to be working off the general instructions someone posted a link to, the instructions were over on nasioc.

That and a download of the service manual from that russian site...

Dave

Those are good instructions there, I used them also the first time I did mine. I was also lucky enough to get the local shop here to let me watch him put one in for me once before I tried it on my own.

My Subaru has over 400,000 miles of Postal Del. on it so I get lots of practice with this and brakes, I have ran into this problem once so I will warn you just in case it happens to you. If the hub will not turn freely when you push it back in you have pushed it just a little to far, it dont take but just a very little bit to far to cause this. You can push it back just a little and it will work fine.

Also when you get it back on the car and compare the spin of it to the other wheels it will be some tighter as long as it turns by hand it will be O.K. and will get as loose as the rest in short order. I was so concerned about this on my first one so I asked at one of the local shops and they told me it was normal to be a little tighter when first put together. Good luck and enjoy the money you will be saving in the future. Your press will pay for it self with the first or second one you do.

Edited by tcspeer

Those are good instructions there, I used them also the first time I did mine. I was also lucky enough to get the local shop here to let me watch him put one in for me once before I tried it on my own.

My Subaru has over 400,000 miles of Postal Del. on it so I get lots of practice with this and brakes, I have ran into this problem once so I will warn you just in case it happens to you. If the hub will not turn freely when you push it back in you have pushed it just a little to far, it dont take but just a very little bit to far to cause this. You can push it back just a little and it will work fine.

Also when you get it back on the car and compare the spin of it to the other wheels it will be some tighter as long as it turns by hand it will be O.K. and will get as loose as the rest in short order. I was so concerned about this on my first one so I asked at one of the local shops and they told me it was normal to be a little tighter when first put together. Good luck and enjoy the money you will be saving in the future. Your press will pay for it self with the first or second one you do.

Thanks for the lookout on pressing the hub in too far.

I'll have to remind myself to measure it, I can use the rust line if I reuse the hub, if I use the new one I'll need that measurement.

Dave