Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding ABS to non ABS car

Guest SubeWitSubs

I've got a 95 Legacy sedan without ABS. Is it very hard to add ABS to this car and if so what all would i need? Thanks,

Andrew

Guest Legacy777

Yes it would be a major undertaking and a real pain in the butt to do this. Wouldn't be worth the time.

You'd need to swap master cylinders, all brake hard lines, abs unit, wiring to the unit, abs brain, tone sensors for all wheels.....and there's probably more. Just not worth it IMO.

Guest Legacy777

agreed. In certain circumstances I wouldn't mind having ABS, but if a car is setup properly for braking and/or handling. I'd rather not have it.

Guest remarcable

ABS keeps me from flat-spotting my tires. It also sucks on dirt roads. The closest I have come to disaster was result of idiotic over-active ABS system on a dirt road. I know I should have pulled the fuse but I didn't think it would work so horribly on snow/dirt.

Now I pull the fuse when I'm off pavement.

Guest 99obw

What I hate is I have one ABS car and one non-ABS car. I find myself driving the non-ABS car like an ABS car, then I look down and the speedometer is at 0. AAAAHHHHH! Let off the brake dummy! LOL

We live on a dirt road and I have never had a problem stopping with the suby ABS.

99obw