Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Not Starting After Engine Swap: 00 Forrester into 00 OBW

Hi everyone, new to the forum.... have had many Subaru's.

Quick background, bought 2.5 from Craigslist to replace blown 2.5 in my 00 OBW.

Was told the engine came out of 00 Forester. Swapped intake and engine wiring harness. The engine cranks but doesn't start. The car sat for about a year before I started working on it again with about a half of tank of gas in it the entire time. Unfortunately I didn't add anything to it to prevent it from going bad... so it has a half tank of bad gas in it right now.

It has spark and there is fuel in the injector rails. So my questions are:

1) Do you think the bad/old gas is enough to make it not start? I have cranked the engine over for a long time and pulled the spark plugs and they are dry, well one did look a little wet, but after cranking the engine as long as I have it should be flooded so I'm wondering if the injectors are plugged? Is there a way to check them?

2) I have read a couple other posts about the cam sprockets, I know the right sprocket was different (its black and looks to be plastic) but that sprocket has no pickup sensor coming off it. The left sprocket looks the same but I'm not positive. Could that be a problem?

Any thoughts on how to get the old gas out of the tank, tried siphon but can't seem to get tube far enough into the tank.

Any help is appreciated.

man, how many CAM issues are we going to see in one week!?!?!? wowsers, good thing that other one worked out, now this is becoming common knowledge.

and yes, year old gas can cause problems with starting. it's called a CARBURETOR. im' sorry, i like to make fun of antiquated equipment that sucks :lol::lol:! actually, pretty sure year old gas can cause problems in FI too. not usually, but probably depends on brand, quality, exposed to elements, etc.