Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 pcv stuff

It's not obvious from the diagram, but #5 and #6 do perform an important function - they provide a metered amount of filtered air to the PCV stream to limit the amount of oil the PCV system can suck from the driver's side valve cover (technically refered to as a "vacuum breaker"). The metering is done via the size of the hose they used - I don't beleive there is an orifice in that line.

Additionally, hooking the two PCV hoses together before the filter causes the whole system to break down. There needs to be a loop for fresh air to be sucked from the air-cleaner, through the crank-case, and then into the PCV valve. With them connected together the PCV valve will simply suck fresh air and never remove acidic crankcase gases.

There is no way to "replumb" the PCV system and have it work correctly - you need the small hose to limit the action of the system (or it sucks up lots of oil), and you need the large hoses to flow in the correct direction - that happens in the stock system, but will not if you change it.

GD

Anyone see anything wrong with this? ...

Yes: That is not an EA82.

Let me Explain it Very Respectfully: if you Carefully see how a Standard Hitachi Carbed EA82 has its PCV Hose connected and how Both Heads Hoses comes connected stock, you`ll Notice two things different from Earlier EA engines:

First: Each Head`s 5/8" Hose goes plugged to a Pipe in the Air Filter Box that got its open end Nearby to the Carb`s Opening, inside the Air Filter Box.

Second: The PCV 5/8" Hose comes connected to a "T" that has one 5/8" Out and one 5/16" Out.

The 5/8" Hose Out goes to a small Box placed at one side of the Air filter Box (Facing the Battery Side) that has a Rubber Flap placed Outside of its Opening, which face the inside of the Air filter Box, in front of the Filter Element.

The 5/16" Hose goes to a Small place aside the Said Box Opening, where is Placed a Tiny Squared Air Filter Element just for the PCV.

That PCV Hook up Works like This: When the PCV "Sucks" air, it will Suck it from around the Air Filter Element thru its own mini Element only, using the 5/16" Hose down to the "T" because the Rubber Flap Placed outside the Box (where the Other Hose from the "T" Goes) Can Not Move inside to that Box and then, when the PCV "Sucks" the Rubber flap Close that Box`s Opening ... but when the PCV "Blows" the Rubber Flap on the Box can move Outside easily and let the PCV Blows thru the 5/8" Hose across the Box`s Opening...

So, seeing that Config, seems like the Carbed EA82`s PCV Config is Different from Older Models, (Well: At Least the Californian Version) That`s Why I Wrote that the Diagram in that Picture Does Not Belong to a Standard Hitachi Carbed EA82.

I Believe it is from a EA71.

Kind Regards.

There is no way to "replumb" the PCV system and have it work correctly - you need the small hose to limit the action of the system (or it sucks up lots of oil), and you need the large hoses to flow in the correct direction - that happens in the stock system, but will not if you change it.

GD

Which is why I asked. I "think" I am sucking oil. Would this correct the problem?

post-4252-136027633018_thumb.jpg

No, it won`t as Far as I Know and I Tried that too...

So, your EA82 Subie is Weberized, isn`t it? ... if So, I`ll Suggest you the Way I make it Work in my Weberized EA82 Subie.

I Know and Understand the Important thing that is to Extract the Poisonous Acidic Crancase Fumes, but the Stock Carbed EA82 Subaru Air Filter Box Design doesn`t have the PCV Directly connected to the Head`s Hoses, so Doing that will make Your Subie`s PCV to Swallow Oil, Specially in Higher Mileage engines...

When I "Weberized" my EA82, those Hoses where like this:

SubaruWeberHoses-02.jpg

the Two Head´s Hoses was Connected to a "T", then with another "T" I Connected the P.C.V. hose to Them, and then the Remainin´ Open end, to the Air Filter Box.

So, when I Changed the Oil Pump, the Oil Pressure Reached Higher, and some Oil where Blew from the Head´s Hoses to the P.C.V. Valve... :-\ ... that was a Problem. :eek:

So, the Solution that I Wanna Share, is this: To install an independent / Good \ Cheap air Filter just for the P.C.V.

I Searched, and I Found this:

5-8AirFilter-1.jpg?t=1177093791

The Vendor said that is Designed for a Dodge (Dakota? ...

:confused: ...) it is Small, Nice, Metallic, with a Fiber Element (Non Replaceable) inside (Just as the Standard Air Filter´s are) and it has a 5/8" Hose inlet, the Exact Size to match the Subie´s P.C.V. Hose. and it just Cost 80.ºº Lempíras (Our Currency, equivalent to $ 4.ºº US Dollars)

This is how it Looks installed:

5-8AirFilter-2.jpg?t=1177093912

This is it Backwards, just to see its Openin´:

(but I Leave it as the Above Picture)

5-8AirFilter-3.jpg?t=1177094215

Also, a Li´l Problem Remained: How to do a Better Connection of the Head´s Hoses? ... ´cos the Air Filter Box´s Tiny plastic Plug was just 1/2" ... the Subie´s 5/8" Hoses fit too Loosen... and the Turn wasn´t Helpin´ ... So I Did This Solution:

First, I Purchased some 5/8" Fittin´ and some 1/2" one, and a 90º Turn Coupler:

90Adapter-1.jpg?t=1177094378

Then, I Welded ´em Together with Brass:

90Adapter-2.jpg?t=1177094463

Then I Cutted 1/3 of the Wide, of a Washer, and I Tighted it to the Air Filter Box´s Base, it is Light Weighted, even if it seems to be Heavy Weighted.

90Adapter-4.jpg?t=1177094621

This is Another Perspective:

90Adapter-5.jpg?t=1177094651

And this is How the Whole Thing, ended up: :)

90Adapter-6.jpg?t=1177094724

So, Now the Heads are connected with a "T" right to the Air Filter´s Box, now with a Direct 5/8" Plug

:) , and the P.C.V. has an independent Air Filter just for its own... Just similar as the Original Stock subaru Air filter Box was...

90Adapter-7.jpg?t=1177094802

My Subie Runs Great and Smooth with that config since 2006, No Problems so Far, and I Use it Very Much in Hard Driving Situations almost every day

:burnout:

I Hope this Ideas can Help.

:)

Best Regards, Good Luck!

- JesZeK

Which is why I asked. I "think" I am sucking oil. Would this correct the problem?

Only if you installed a 1/4" orifice directly after the secondary "PCV" filter. It is the reduction in the tube ID that keeps the PCV working but not sucking so hard that it pulls oil from the valve cover.

You can get the same effect by using some stock PCV couplings that are reduction T's and adding a second elbow from the bottom of the Weber filter that is either a 1/4" ID tubeing fitting (hose barb) or reduces down to 1/4" ID before joining the line going to the PCV valve.

There is no need, nor is it at all desireable to have seperate filters for air and PCV. Makes it difficult to seal the engine up if you want to go with a snorkel at a later time too.

GD

I made it as the picture shows. Just testing, I put a paper towel over it as a filter and took it for a ride. That worked, no sucking oil. I will reduce the diameter and go that route. Thanks again.

Only if you installed a 1/4" orifice directly after the secondary "PCV" filter. It is the reduction in the tube ID that keeps the PCV working but not sucking so hard that it pulls oil from the valve cover.

You can get the same effect by using some stock PCV couplings that are reduction T's and adding a second elbow from the bottom of the Weber filter that is either a 1/4" ID tubeing fitting (hose barb) or reduces down to 1/4" ID before joining the line going to the PCV valve.

There is no need, nor is it at all desireable to have seperate filters for air and PCV. Makes it difficult to seal the engine up if you want to go with a snorkel at a later time too.

GD

That is a great description of what I was trying work out in my head from post#4. Thanks GD.

I wonder if anyone is currently running it like you describe.

What would a suitable fitting material be? Or what should I avoid?

That is a great description of what I was trying work out in my head from post#4. Thanks GD.

I wonder if anyone is currently running it like you describe.

What would a suitable fitting material be? Or what should I avoid?

Just about anything works. Most of the stuff I use is either plastic or brass because that's what is commonly availible. If it's done right and the flow through the system is unrestricted, there shouldn't be any buildup in the PCV system. The stock lines are often clogged with carbonized oil due to the PCV filter being dirty inside the airbox.

GD