Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't find my fuel filter

but I still treat my 1981 Subaru DL pretty well.

It's up to 255,000 on the original engine but the engine won't idle steady. I have replaced the EGR valve, the spark plugs and wires, the condensor and points, and I've checked repeatedly for any vacuum leaks.

I bought two fuel filters, (or should I call them fool filters?) and I can't find where they go.

My car is a 1981 Subaru Wagon DL 1800.

A year and a half ago I had the catalytic convertor replaced and the carburetor rebuilt.

What is my next move?

And where do those darn fuel filters go?

Thanks for the input, but I just don't see one by the master brake. It looks like the fuel line goes right to the carburetor with no fuel filter anywhere to be found.

I also couldn't see the one by the gas tank, but I probably need the car to be higher off the ground.

Can anyone recommend a subaru repair shop that appreciates the older subarus such as mine and works in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles?

I'm not looking for a freebie but it seems no one ever wants to replace any parts on these cars.

Drive it up here and I'll do it for free, I am in San Luis Obispo..

the one under the car btw, is somewhat hidden... the fuel pump and filter are mounted on a triangular panel, and all you can see is the panel. If you follow the fuel line where it comes out of the gas tank you will find the assembly inline.. the one under the hood is usually pretty odvious it just as well might have been bypassed by someone. But there could be something about the older DL models that I dont know yet too...

That's tempting. But if I were to come up I'd probably want to have a thorough going over of the car and replace as many older parts on the car as I could.

The reason I don't think it would work out is my primary purpose focus is to be smog legal as my car just recently failed smog. I thought the car was in good shape because I just had the carburetor rebuilt and the cat replaced just a year and a half a go. To my surprise my car was categorized as a "gross polluter" and I am wondering what was done last time to make my car pass. (I wasn't there when it was tested).

I just can't seem to get it through any mechanics head that if I have to spend a few hundred dollars on various filters and such I will gladly do it. I think nobody wants to mess around searching for parts for older cars.

Hey I'm easy going. I ran into the same trouble a few years back with my 84 wagon that didnt want to pass smog right after I rebuilt the whole engine. It turned out to be the catalytic in combination with the egr valve, and some hoses routed wrong. If your looking for parts, I have a whole mess of them like everyone else on the board, and there are a couple older ru's down at the junkyards. If your in need of some subaru mechanical help, seriously, drop me an email.

renaissanceman132@go.com

Thanks for the helpful offer. I wish you were a bit closer. I just changed the EGR valve and the car seems to run better but as the car warms up it the idle speed is not constant.

It's weird because when I first turn the car on when it's cold it idles at a constant speed for about 20-30 seconds, then the idle becomes rough and inconsistent. I wonder what would let the car engine work perfectly for 20 seconds, then begin to cause problems.

hahahah.

About those fool filters that I can't find. I was wondering if when the car is first started there is fuel in the line already and it takes 20 or 30 seconds for the fuel pump or fuel filter to begin to cause trouble again.

Alex, an answer your last question

I wonder what would let the car engine work perfectly for 20 seconds, then begin to cause problems.

could be the choke pulloff is not working. The engine can only take a super rich choked condition for about that long. It then would begin to "load up" stumble and could easily stall.

The idle problem sure sounds like a idle circuit in the carb problem.

But the vacuum leak you can not find may be the choke pulloff diaphragm.

The use of a "miracle in a can" called "Seafoam" has produced some hard to believe results.

Maybe a bit of it in the carb bowl and the old trick of rev it up and choke the carb closed, would clean the offending material out of the jets.