Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project EJ22 Hatch continues

Pooparu

Sure I'll get to it as soon as I finish the projects on my Hatch, Porsche & BRAT. You can pick it up sometime in the spring of 2020 :lol:

Hurry and get with the Brat so you can come out to browns camp with me:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Super stoked on the the hatch

Edited by rkjbutter

Hurry and get with the Brat so you can come out to browns camp with me:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Super stoked on the the hatch

The BRAT is next in line. I have a ton of parts for it, but I still need a few more before I get the lift on it. I also have an EJ22 for it as well.

So when the 5 lug swap happens so will the AWD swap as well.

Let's see so far by the end of the summer I should have:

5 Lug swap

WRX brakes

WRX struts

Cool hood latches

AWD transmission

Power Steering

This should be a fun project summer.:banana:

5 Lug swap

WRX brakes

WRX struts

Cool hood latches

AWD transmission

Power Steering

Will the wrx calipers and brackets work with the xt6 knuckles? we needs to know :)

Kaz

5 Lug swap

WRX brakes

WRX struts

Cool hood latches

AWD transmission

Power Steering

when you say fun, are you including it sitting in my driveway while i make stuff fit for your car.:grin:

nothing like having a buddy with a welder and metal working skills, hmmm i wonder who that would be. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay so XT6 steering knuckles don't fit WRX brakes. So I went and got some legacy knuckles and everything fit great. (we'll see when I bolt it up to the car). If anyone's interested in buying some XT6 front end stuff let me know. I've got everything, but the passendger front caliper.

I've got the entire front end assembled in the garage now. Legacy knuckles, WRX calipers, WRX cross drilled/slotted rotors, EA81 (power steering) cross member, EA81 tie rods & ends, WRX brake pads, KYB struts with WRX (maybe STI) Springs, EA81 lower control arms with urithane bushings and everything's new or rebuilt. I'm just waiting on some wheel bearings then I'll paint and reassemble everything. At that time I'll snap a few shots of the set-up and post them up.

Oh, I can't wait til I've got this thing together. It should be a real blast to drive.

Which AWD tranny are you going with? How about fitment of the struts into the ea81 tower?

Going with a Legacy transmission ('cause it's available). We haven't got as far as the strut towers yet. We'll try and just drill a 3rd hole, but it that isn't going to work we might have to cut out the top and custom make a new piece that matt will weld in. We'll see once we get to that.

I'm about 99% sure that the 2 existing holes will not line up with 2 of the ones on a 3-stud strut-top. as they're almost perfectly evenly spaced.

but, I bet you could drill all 3 holes and be good to go. maybe weld a washer around it to reinforce it, but I think that'd be overkill.

sorry I wasn't following this thread. I could've told you that no EJ caliper bracket would bolt to an XT6 knuckle.

axles will be interesting. EJ on both ends, with EA81 length....or lengthen the EA81 control arms.....but then you might have camber "issues" (although negative camber in the front isn't really a bad thing).

That was another thing I ws looking at, but the legacy struts are taller than ea81, so either the lego springs need to be cut, or some other springs might be needed.

As to your strut problem, I have a pair of Legacy struts here with EA81 top hats on them, I didnt do the swap so I dont know what was done or how well it will work, but just throwing that out there cuz it might be easier than modifying the strut towers...

-Bill

Any updates? Were you able to find parts to rebuild the steering rack/pump?

I decided not to rebuild the steering rack, but I did rebuild the pump. I just painted the rack and called it good. It seemed like a bigger P.I.T.A. then I wanted to deal with right now so I hope it works out.

As far as the pump goes I'm using the EJ pump so getting rebuild part wasn't that hard. It was like $30 from Subaru and I had to go to a local bearing shop to get the bearing. Subaru doesn't just sell the bearing, they want to sell you the whole rod with the bearing and that's like $130. I paid like $5 for the bearing at the shop.

I am so jealous of you! I have a 1980 1600 hatch that I got for free, and a 1990 legacy sitting and waiting for something to be done with it, all I'm waiting on is money and time to do the ej22 swap.

how long did it take you? and how much of a P.I.T.A. was it?

haha, I'll trade my legacy and 1600 for your finished project, lol.

oh, how fast does it go? and does it still perform as good with the awd trans?

Kyle b.