Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project EJ22 Hatch continues

Pooparu

how long did it take you? (putting the motor and everything on it wasn't that long. You could do it in a weekend. It's the wiring that kills)

and how much of a P.I.T.A. was it? (the wiring was a huge P.I.T.A. for me)

haha, I'll trade my legacy and 1600 for your finished project, lol.

oh, how fast does it go? (Not as fast as I thought, but it's way better then the 1800)

and does it still perform as good with the awd trans? (not sure yet, I don't have it installed yet. I'll let everyone know)

The front bolts are on the struts. You'll see 2 bolts at the bottom of each strut. Tighten them up and it will lift the front end.

dsc02363q.jpg

Yes, mine has a 3rd eye headlight on it.

dsc02451b.jpg

(this is an old photo of it)

thank you for the bolt location. I probably would have never found it, it doesn't even look like it would be used for adjustment. I'm gonna go try it out right now.

Holly Crap, I haven't read my thread in a couple days. What a soap opera. I'm not touching this one. I've learned my lesson a long time ago. :grin:

So if we could get back on point that would be great.

So not much to update on the car yet. I'm trying to raise some money to buy some wheel bearings then the front end is ready to go. I'll be sure to post tons of photos and my & matt's many, many, many (did I mention many), trials and tribulations with this huge task.

Anyone can post on here as long as it's related to the thread topic. "That all I have to say about that" -Gump

Well I'm underway. I've got the 5-lug & wrx rims on the back and I have the front completely dissembled. I also have the new cross member and p/s rack mounted. Now I'm working on getting new wheel bearings in the hubs & mounting the WRX struts and springs. I've been taking a ton of photos and I'll post them all when I'm finised.

Struts and springs not going so well. They are much wider then the EA81 springs so it's a very tight fit in the strut tower. I may have to grind a bit out and reweld a chunk further out to allow space for the EJ springs. I did get the EA81 top hats to fit the EJ Struts. I'm going to do a bit of grinding and pounding tonight and see if I can't get them to fit.

Well I got the drivers side finished. Did I mention I really hate doing wheel bearings. Even with the right tools it's a pain in the rear.

Here are some photos of the progress so far:

Old and new (used) parts.

dsc04389l.jpg

Hole:

dsc04396z.jpg

WRX strut & spring with EA81 top hat:

dsc04398j.jpg

Painting the Legacy hubs & dust plates:

dsc04403p.jpg

Here's everything put together on the hatch:

dsc04407p.jpg

Then, BAM!!! WRX brakes!

dsc04408y.jpg

I haven't really figured that out yet. I'm going to try and see if I can just use some EJ axles. I know they are a bit longer, but only by an inch or so. This whole project has been a "see if it works" sort of thing.

So what are you doing for the axles?

GD

You will have to fully compress the suspension to see if they will bottom out in the DOJ cups or not. I suspect they will and you will have to shorten them. The travel inside the cups is only about 1" either direction from center. I know a stock EA82 axle will not fit an EA81 - you won't even be able to bolt the control arm into the x-member. The difference doesn't seem like much, and it isn't really, but the amount the axles move on the DOJ end is similary small - it's a lever and when you move the wheel the other end only moves a small distance - but that distance is pretty critical to proper compression of the suspension.

I say turn a sleeve on the lathe to the correct ID for an interferance fit with the axle shaft. 1/4" wall would fit the bill - then you drill holes in it - 8 or 10 on either end of the sleeve. Heat to 250 degree's F and slip the cut axle ends into it. Then plug weld the holes on either end to lock it down. Should work just fine.

GD

You mean they work for 5-lug swapped EA82's right? Being he's swapping 5-lug to an EA81 I can't see them even fitting (Assembly wise).

GD

yep, yep. I wasn't too clear. I meant the EJ axles can fit in place of an EA82. I'm not hopeful about an EJ axle working in an EA81.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well I've been very busy trying to figure out my strut options. I came up with some Volkswagen FK coilovers. It gives me the adjustablity I need to go from street to snow tires, and the rear is already adjustable so we're good to go. I'm just waiting for a couple of parts to show up. I also have got all the brakes sorted and the wheel wells painted with rubber sealant.

Here are a couple of photos of the coilovers with the ea81 top hats:

dsc04414m.jpg

dsc04415rvd.jpg

Here is the hatch at the lowest point (I haven't got the parts to raise it up yet):

dsc04412t.jpg

dsc04413o.jpg