Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project EJ22 Hatch continues

Pooparu

Which transmission did you end up with? Legacy if I read right but like me I bet you change your mind as you go with the build. :-) I have a 5MT D/R in mine right now so I have ea81/ea82NA spline axle shaft inboard and Impreza/Legacy/Forester outboard. The hard part is the shafts I need to find more.

Which transmission did you end up with? Legacy if I read right but like me I bet you change your mind as you go with the build. :-) I have a 5MT D/R in mine right now so I have ea81/ea82NA spline axle shaft inboard and Impreza/Legacy/Forester outboard. The hard part is the shafts I need to find more.

I used a legacy transmission. What I need is legacy ends on a EA81 shaft or shortened EJ axles. All I did is had a old EJ set cut and sleeved. Once I put in the bigger motor I'm going to need something stronger.

As soon as I find some more shafts like mine I will get a set made and a price. Guess right now is $120/ea, exchange for any stock Subaru axle. I am working with MWE on getting these so they are sweet axles. My inner cups aren't legacy spline but that can be switched very easily.

Pretty enough to put on the kitchen counter. :D

IMG_20110112_210516.jpg

great build but im slightly confused so ill ask here.

tell me if this sounds right.

1. XT6 control arms

2. EJ hubs

3. vw struts

4. what rotors/calipers are you using?

5. what tie rod ends?

6. legacy tranny

7. shortened EJ axles

and ShawnW....what do those axles fit that you have pictured?

So these will be the right length? could you change out the ends so that they are EJ on both sides?

$120.00 each is a great price. I'll take 'em with an exchange. I'll let you know when I have the money together. Then I'll ship you a set of axles.

As soon as I find some more shafts like mine I will get a set made and a price. Guess right now is $120/ea, exchange for any stock Subaru axle. I am working with MWE on getting these so they are sweet axles. My inner cups aren't legacy spline but that can be switched very easily.

Pretty enough to put on the kitchen counter. :D

IMG_20110112_210516.jpg

1. EA81 Control Arms (modified to fit the EJ ball Joints)

2. EJ Hubs

3. VW Struts

4. WRX rotors/calipers

5. EA81 Tie Rod Ends

6. 4.111 Legacy AWD Transmission

7. Shortened EJ Axles

8. EJ ball Joints

I've probably got at least 6-7 different styles of subarus & a VW & Toyota parts built into this 1982 Hatch. It's amazing I can still remember the combination of them all. :rolleyes:

great build but im slightly confused so ill ask here.

tell me if this sounds right.

1. XT6 control arms

2. EJ hubs

3. vw struts

4. what rotors/calipers are you using?

5. what tie rod ends?

6. legacy tranny

7. shortened EJ axles

and ShawnW....what do those axles fit that you have pictured?

So these will be the right length? could you change out the ends so that they are EJ on both sides?

$120.00 each is a great price. I'll take 'em with an exchange. I'll let you know when I have the money together. Then I'll ship you a set of axles.

They fit in my 83 Wagon with 5 lug conversion. I need to test drive the car and haven't got it back together but they fit sweet and I don't see why they wouldn't be just fine. Ill get some testing done before we complete transaction and get the price firmed up.

They fit in my 83 Wagon with 5 lug conversion. I need to test drive the car and haven't got it back together but they fit sweet and I don't see why they wouldn't be just fine. Ill get some testing done before we complete transaction and get the price firmed up.

Sounds great:)

• 2 months later...
Nope, splines on the shaft are different between EA81 and EJ-series.

Oh, ok. They were the same on the aftermarket axles I got. I've heard that they're the same between a lot of generations of Subarus, but I guess not this combination.

Jacob

Nope, splines on the shaft are different between EA81 and EJ-series.

There are 2 different diameter of EA81 shafts.

One of them is the same as the 90-98 EJ axle cups.

I use Legacy rear DOJ's (23 spline) to repair EA81 axles all the time.

I think the fronts are a different story. I tried every combination I could get my hands on to make them work. All I need is for both EJ ends to fit on my EA81 shaft. That's not to say that there may be a combination that works.

There are 2 different diameter of EA81 shafts.

One of them is the same as the 90-98 EJ axle cups.

I use Legacy rear DOJ's (23 spline) to repair EA81 axles all the time.

Hmm, yeah, I sort of assumed you tried, or else you wouldn't have done the welding/sleeving thing. I know you can do it with EMPI axles, but you'd be hard-pressed to beat ShawnW's price.

Jacob

Well I might have to go that route if I don't hear back from him.

• 2 months later...