Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing

bgh831

Ok let's hear horror tales and funny ones. Heaviest load pulled with a sobbie? I think they are the most versitile car on the planet but I wouldn't throw a horse behind one, but I bet someone has! Pics of your tow rig?

my tow rig

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

gets decent mileage with a load about 17 mpg-flat road of coarse.

it just did a 700 mile trip.

shes an old 89 cherokee, only rated to tow 5500 lbs... pulls nice though!

has the engine balanced, blueprinted, stroked, .060 overbore, forged pistons, 10 pounds lighter crankshaft, nice cam, bigger throttle body, header, 4.10 gears and 33's.

Edited by erik litchy

Nice rig. Some people do some serious towing with soobs like way above what is recommended.

This is a '87 F250 my dad used to have, this thing was a beast, 472ci v8 or something like that engine I think it had. I think it had the dana 70 rear diff. It had a 5th wheel hitch that would pull this large camper trailer up the steepest hills without batting an eyelash.

1rightside.jpg

2leftside.jpg

Yeah I'm looking to sell and buy or trade my GMC for something better suited to towing a horse trailer up and down the mountain. The hatch ain't gonna cut it and nither is the 6" lift 35" tire shortbed GMC. Has to be some pics out there of someone pulling a horse behind a subbie tho

Nice rig. Some people do some serious towing with soobs like way above what is recommended.

This is a '87 F250 my dad used to have, this thing was a beast, 472ci v8 or something like that engine I think it had. I think it had the dana 70 rear diff. It had a 5th wheel hitch that would pull this large camper trailer up the steepest hills without batting an eyelash.

i liked that body style, the newer ones are just enormous in comparison. give me one with the 6 speed and 7.3 and fill one tank with vegi oil. never liked the gas ones, filling both gas tanks would be too depressing.

I'm hopeing to do just that I got 4 local resturants to give me oil I just need to swap my truck for a diesel tow truck. It's a good truck but not for what I need it for. Hatch might have to go to. Sucks but such is life right.

When the flat bed from the trans shop came by to pick up our 98 GT wagon, the driver miss judged the clearance while pulling the car up.

It got stuck in a tree. There were a few scratches and one broken limb on the tree.

Has anyone else had their Subaru stuck in a tree? :grin:

Most I've pulled was with an EA82, 6x4 trailer with almost tonne/1000kg in it. Had a fairly steep hill to climb, ended up in 4wd lowrange 2nd gear. Worked, and the car is still driving around.

I had 600kg in the back of my Brat, suspension was bottomed out. Didn't do that again, bad idea.

Ive never pulled a trailer with my subes, but I have pulled a large v8 powered forklift with the Beast...

My scariest towing incident was towing home a 1988 Eagle Medallion on our car trailor with the 2500 Cumins Dodge...

The way the car was parked it was easier to load it on the trailor facing backwards, as it didnt run when I picked it up. Well, being front engine/fwd with a cast iron block, its heavy in the front. That didnt register with me until we were cruisin down the freeway and as i hit 60mph the trailor started swinging the whole truck from side to side, getting more violent as we slowed down until I got it below 40mph. I was scared ************less, but I was able to recover it and I didnt wreck, nor cause any wrecks. Learned my lesson on that one for sure!

-Bill

the heaviest I have ever towed behind a Subaru was a Fiat 124 spyder on a 2 wheel dolly behind my 90 legacy AWD 5 speed. It towed that car better then my friends mom's s-10 blazer. :grin:

then again thats not saying much, blazers arent the most stable things on the road:)