Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Hatchback HELP!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it emits a lot of smoke out the tailpipe, its heavy and white.

It'a likely burning coolant as you may not have got the carb base heater port plugged with the adaptor block. Sometimes they don't quite cover the hole completely. A lot of folks simply block the port with JB weld and a bit of window screening.

GD

I checked it and its all sealed off, well now that im working on it during the daylight hours, the smoke is actually blue, thick and out of the tailpipe?????????

Blue or black?

Black would be too rich of a mixture.

Blue would be oil burning - either rings or valve stem seals - most likely valve stem seals.

Are you sure it's not just burning it off after sitting and having some oil seep into a cylinder? I don't know how long it sat while you did the conversion, but sometimes that will happen with older engine's. I've had plenty of EA81's with bad stem seals that would burn a bit of oil till they warmed up - it seeps in while they are sitting.

GD

Its blue when i start it and then it goes away. When i turn it off after warming up, it turn it back on and then there is a lot of white smoke that comes out the tailpipe. It also has a very rough idle and i already tried the speed, mixture, and timing and everything is good... its very possible that somehow the antifreeze is still getting into the manifold. im going to just cover it and hope... How can i just disconnect that port from getting any fluids at all??? Is it the tube that runs from the water pump to the back of the manifold?

Edited by Attractor1