Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Subaru DL Wagon

Anyone else still driving a 1981 Subaru DL Wagon five speed 1800? I think I found two Subaru Mechanics at Subaru dealerships who have been with the company a long time, so long that when these cars were new they were working on them.

Anybody have any problems with their 81's and how did you solve the problem?

I did a search and typed in 1981 DL Wagon and not much came up, that's why I thought I'd just be Mr. Obvious and create a topic that is specific to my car so that way it will show up in the search engine for others that join later.

UM, I hope there is something meaningful for them to absorb!

Welcome to the board, I have an 81 same as yours but GL 4wd. They are great, I have had some problems with mine but nothing that can't be fixed.

Watch the Radiator, Mine was actually pushed in when I bought it and eventualy blew a head gasket because of it.

Sometimes the carbs can be a pain, had to rebuild that.

Always check your engine oil and trans oil, My dad forgot and blew 3rd gear out, oops?

Enjoy the passing light! it is kinda unique to the 81's-84's. Correct me if the years are wrong.

Basically just ask a lot of questions everyone likes to help out.

Enjoy

The "passing light", "cyclops eye", "center lamp" whatever you call it is a light that is under the emblem in the center of the grill. GL models had them.. I don't think it was specific to 4WD or anything - just GL's in general.

I have a blue 1980 or 81 one in the garage if you want one for your car - you would have to find a grill for it tho.

Your car may have a check engine light - or it may not. Depending on weather you have a feedback carburetor or a standard. If you have a feedback style, then you would have a little "ECS" in the gauge cluster somewhere that would illuminate to indicate a fualt. A good way to see if you have a feedback system or not is to look at the exhaust - if you have an 02 sensor where the y pipe joins at the cat, then you probably have a feedback system. However - a cursory inspection of an 80 or 81 guage cluster I happen to have sitting here didn't show me an obvious ECS light....

GD

• 6 months later...
  • 11 years later...

just realized that this was 12 years ago damn ive had to fix a few things and damn is it hard to get parts i managed to pick up a 1984 touring wagon for parts not everything is the same but you make it work if you have any Q. still i could answer a few  :clap:

Edited by xWildFirex