Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey folks,

Am going to see a black/gray 2008 OB Sport today. I have read many negative comments here on the styling of the new Impreza's, both 4 and 5 door versions, and especially the 2-tone Sport's. So I am not interested in your opinion on the styling etc. This might be an impulse buy for me if it goes through, more so since it is an auto; my preference is a stick shift. However, the deal is so enticing that it is worth a look. Plus I used to own a brand new 91 legacy wagon with auto that I loved, until an 18 wheeler totalled it in 1993 at Harrisburg, PA.

However, the car has <500 miles and is semi loaded (aw mats, dimming mirror with compass, arm rest, sports grill, they are throwing in wheel locks - I will install; am working with them on splash guards). Like I said, not too much about the new non-WRX Impreza's here, but mostly serious negative thoughts. Any feedback on mechanical reliability, general build quality (creaks, rattles, interior fit and finish), actual mileage experience will be helpful - I know this is short notice, since I am looking at this in the evening. One more question, does the 6-disc cd unit have an auxilliary input for portable players.

Thx,

aba

I bought an 08 Impreza 5 door back in early Nov of 07... One of the first handful sold in my area... I LOVE it ..I LOVE everything about it. I have 38K miles on it and its has been flawless. The only car I have owned that I love more then my Impreza was my dear 92 Loyale wagon. Mine is the base model with a couple extras...so I cant answer your question about the 6 disk changer..since I am rigged up for Sat radio. I had an aux port installed in the center console. Car fits me like a glove and I enjoy every minute of driving it.

Mine is a 5 spd and if you dont drive it like a jerk you can easily get 32+ mpg out of it. A side note though..there is alot of wind noise...especially if you have the roof rack system..sometimes a vibration will occure..its an easy fix...remove the rubber molding down the centers of the cross bars.

Good Luck and Pics if you get it!!

PreShowHolly002-1.jpg

And who cares what people say about the looks..I think other models are ugly ..I just keep that to myself and they should be happy you are moving up into a new/er dependable car.

Edited by Bucky92

Hello Bucky,

I have followed your posts on the new car over the past year and noted your passion about it. This is the type of feedback I am looking for. My son got his license and was added to our policy this past weekend (ouch!). So if this one joins our home, it will be my better half's DD, since he is getting her car, an older Altima. Thanks, aba

i think you copied and pasted that post from another forum, because there isn't much negative feedback on here and this place definitely isn't lacking in "non-WRX" knowledge - actually the opposite is true, there's hardly a reference to WRX turbo stuff here.

anyway, yeah who cares about styling/looks, that's your deal anyway. it's a good, new car, great reliability, and a warranty you'll be fine. if you're picky and desire novelty you might not like it.

Thanks aba. I keep mine immaculately maintained and I think it shows. I personally dont need or even like luxury and have felt this car has been perfect in every way for me.. Plenty of passanger space..and its noce to not have wind noise coming from the windows..the frames help alot.

Keep me informed...I want to know how it goes.:)

Hello Grossgary,

Did not copy and paste anything, and from any site. Do not belong to any other Subaru forums, but I have read negatives at other sites, as well as a bunch here about styling (which I said I do not care about and because my family likes it period). Plus I know there is a lot of non-WRX stuff here, just not too much constructive information on the 2008 and beyond Impreza's (other than WRX and beyond). If there is, then I have not have looked hard enough.

Going in a couple of hours and will you folks posted.

Thx,

aba

Good luck!:) And I happen to love the looks too. I have caught myself numerous times just standing outside staring at my Holly thinking what a beautiful car she is. I am ANAL about her too..my poor husband had to use her for work for a week ( his toyota truck had a broken leaf spring and my beater car..95 legacy had a blown radiator) and he was paranoid that something would happen cause he knows I go over that car with a magnifying glass. Had blankets covering the interior cause he is a carpenter..poor guy.

I took mine from CT to southern FL and I could easily drive 14 hours without any pain from the seats. She feels light and very nimble..handles 100X better then my XT6 and has been unstoppable in the snow.Like I said I just love the car and I highly recommend them. And so far my support from Subaru has been amazing.

And I can bring up tons of negative feedback on the cars..and it only has to do with its looks. In fact when the style was first released I was one of the "haters" ..until I saw one in person ..and drove it.

Edited by Bucky92

Hey folks,

We just picked it up from Richmond Subaru. My wife driving, following me in my Brat. Was not clear earlier, but it is brand spankin new with 372 miles at pick-up (came from Southern States, NC per the sticker - hence a dealer transfer and a few extra miles). I made an internet offer on this one and also a 5 speed 2009. They basically matched the offer on the 2008, but would not budge on their sale price on the 09 manual. Got the 2008 with a bunch of extras for ~$1000 less than the 2009 with 5 speed which itself is also on sale big time. Well, after a @35 to 40 mile drive home, my wife loves it. I did see another post from Grossgary (after searching), and found out that it does have the input jack for the MP3 under the center storage bin. More later. Thx, aba

Will try and post pictures soon as I have had trouble before. The dealer wrote us an IOU for wheel locks and roof rack (parts department closed), and replacement of the passenger side headlight. There seems to be slight condensation? stains visible in the top flat part of that lamp, under the plastic. However, the family loves it. I will add the tail pipe finisher and splash guards soon. It will be complete then. Thanks, aba

Took a trip to Marietta, PA on Wednesday. Stayed at Lancaster, completed some work at Marietta yesterday and returned home. Put on ~510 miles round trip and averaged right at 29 mpg over the trip. The 495 DC traffic going up and I-95 traffic (did not take 495) through the DC area was a killer and I am sure effected gas mileage - covered @12 miles in well over an hour on the way back.

However, the OBS performed perfectly. I thought the seat was comfortable (I was alone); the sound system (MP3 player used through jack) is excellent - the source material should be high quality, and the sound system sparkles. I had adjusted the tire pressures to 34/33 (F/R) last Sunday when it was cooler. However, the weather has warmed up. The car drove a bit hard, although the suspension still felt compliant. I like the way it handles. Will check the pressures and adjust if needed. The black color will take some doing to keep clean; it is getting a good bath this weekend.

More initial impressions to come......

I am happy you are still happy with it. I really like the handling also..has a bit of body roll but not to bad...if you want to stiffen that some the Pink Springs are the trick ( I am still planning on getting them sometime). Its still the best handling Subaru I have owned ( sorry XT6 people..but it so outhandles them).

I took mine to Carlisle PA last weekend..close to 600 miles round trip and avg 31.9 mpg. A trick I found to keeping them clean is to clay bar it and put a good heavy coat of a good wax on...will be oober smooth and nothing will really stick to it for awhile. PLus it will shine like glass and be even nicer then the day you picked it up off the lot.