Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Journey of a T-leg picture show 56k warning June 3rd

I thought I would chronicle the Journey of my 91 T-leg here and let you guys know what I'm up to... I'll start with some pictures from when I first got her... and to now... Any suggestions, comments, or offers of help more than welcome!! I purchased this thing for $100 dollars...

Low Miles!!

DSC01084.jpg

Drivers Side

DSC01073.jpg

Passenger side

Image006.jpg

Front

Image003.jpg

Rear

DSC01077.jpg

Engine

DSC01077.jpg

This is After her First pressure wash bath.... She was sitting in a storage and was ugly as hell and because she was sitting at my moms house I had to clean her up...

Interior Shots, Teardown and rebuild. (had to get the mold out and put in a new carpet....

DSC01102.jpg

New Carpet (junk yard Carpet cleaned up and put in)

DSC01164.jpg

Interior mostly put back together, I haven't finished yet because I need to get the door lock fixed, and I want to get the shifter slop out of it.

DSC01165.jpg

Back seat

DSC01166.jpg

Now to the Engine... She is getting pulled...

engine prep

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

SHE WONT COME OUT!! We broke some stuff trying to get her out... need to get some new bits and pieces...

DSC01294.jpg

Freaking engine mounts...

DSC01296.jpg

Edited by xoomer

Got to work on her some more today....

Engine coming out...

DSC01297.jpg

Back of the Engine stand

DSC01299.jpg

Front of the engine stand..

DSC01298.jpg

Whoops looks like I left something behind!!

DSC01300.jpg

Whoops Forgot to unhook a couple of wires

DSC01301.jpg

Found the cause of the overheating!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

DSC01302.jpg

New Parts!!

DSC01303.jpg

New Radiator

DSC01305.jpg

Got some work done on it today, Got the harmonic balancer off and the intake and the turbo.. lots of hoses are gonna need to be replaced... lots of cleaning to do... next time I'm over its gonna be pull the exhaust and oil pan, as well as the timing covers, to get it down to engine. then the heads are off to the shop to be machined magnafluxed and a valve job, I didn't take any pictures but my friend said he would email me some cause he came over to help a little bit...

If you're re-doing the motor, why not put on a set of DOHC heads and manifold off of a phase 1 EJ25? You can drill the ports on the back of the passenger head for the turbo oil and coolant lines. Take a look on legacycentral, they have a bunch of pics of the port locations. Might as well make more power while you have it apart. Check the oil squirters in the block, they tend to back out and you may find them in the pan.

Looking good dude. Buddy of mine that runs an independent Subaru dealer recently had a woman pay her bill with a 91 Turbo Legacy. He had the motor out at the end of the day and put into his Impreza brighton coupe. Said he had been waiting on one of those motors ever since his EJ25 kicked the bucket.

I can't wait to see some videos of it running. You going to upgrade turbos while your at it?

If you're re-doing the motor, why not put on a set of DOHC heads and manifold off of a phase 1 EJ25? You can drill the ports on the back of the passenger head for the turbo oil and coolant lines. Take a look on legacycentral, they have a bunch of pics of the port locations. Might as well make more power while you have it apart. Check the oil squirters in the block, they tend to back out and you may find them in the pan.

doesn't the DOHC make it an interference motor? that would sort of be a downgrade, and could possibly be the only reason a ej22t closed deck block could end up to the scrapper. yes, more power, but why not just boost it to 30 psi with a larger turbo for power. the heads are pretty good on a ej22t, this has been discussed before.

Right now there are no plans for power cause I'm struggling for cash to fix it. My goal is to get it running and driving, Make her my daily driver till I can get some work done to my sixes... and go from there...

But yes, maybe bigger turbo, intercooler, blowoff valve, turbo timer... and such Eventually I'm slated for two raises this year... one for sure, the other one is my new boss is so impressed that he wants to give me a raise

Got some work done today!!..

Engine tear down and clean up a little bit.

DSC01306.jpg

Close up oil pan carnage!

DSC01307.jpg

Left Engine Mount

DSC01308.jpg

Right Engine Mount

DSC01309.jpg

Whole Exhaust off... (I'm thinking to take the Metal protectors off and get some heat rap for the exhaust, Cause I would think that would keep it cooler?

DSC01310.jpg

Dirt and Crap

DSC01311.jpg

Now that is a neglected cooling system!!

DSC01320.jpg

Ok, now my next step is to pull the CAM SPROCKETS off, do I need a special tool?

Got a lot of work done on her today and found more work to do...

DSC01324.jpg

Engine Cleaning

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01326.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

Heads off

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

Block cleaned up.

DSC01330.jpg

Found in oil pan... As for this I figured out what piston it belongs to, can I just yank the piston? and put it back in??

DSC01332.jpg

Short Block

DSC01333.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Little more work done on this thing....

but first A random Sword picture... (its one of my dads trophies, He's letting me smuggle them one at a time down from CA) and I finally got it hung up.

DSC01346.jpg

My Heads

DSC01348.jpg

Drivers Side Assembly

DSC01349.jpg

Head bolts, The assembly process really I don't like which was torque to 27 foot pounds. then too 55 foot pounds then back it off 180 Degrees, then to like 38 foot pounds... Then turn it 90 degrees more...

DSC01350.jpg

Valve Cover.

DSC01351.jpg

Bottom End Reassembly.

DSC01352.jpg

Water pump and Oil pump, I like the o.E. Water pump gasket... Its METAL!! :D I used grey RTV a reallly fine bead all the way around the Oil pump..

DSC01353.jpg

Top of The Driver Side...

DSC01353.jpg

Rear Plate.. (watch the videos at the end..)

DSC01364.jpg

I may be needing a new FlyWheel...

DSC01360.jpg

My Patented Flywheel Locking tool.. (i'll Sell it to you for $10 bucks)

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

Videos Of me working....

• 4 months later...

After several months of nothingness. I finally got some more done on my engine.... I put the Rear Main Seal in... And Got the Number 4 piston out and put the spray nozzle back in and now I just have to get Rings and clean the piston to get it back in the hole... It wont go back in with the old Rings?? so rings and put back together.. no pictures cause I was working on like seven different things at once... Cleaning up my moms house.

• 4 weeks later...