Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank pulley bolt off, but pulley stuck..

I smack it from several angles with a rubber mallett.

I had a stubborn one this week myself.

With the engine in the car.

I used a long pry bar to pry against where the AC tensioner gets bolted to. I think I also found a similar pry point on the passegner side.

Mallet, pry, pry, rotate a little, mallett, pry, pry. All this after PB blaster on the outside (replacing TB anyways), and inside(since the bolt was removed it can actually get in there as well.

Once it wiggles a little you're on your way. Patience.

Thanks, finally got it off after about 2 hours.

I was prying against the alt and PS tensioner on both side. Even once i started getting play in it it took about 30 minutes of tapping it with hammer and wiggling it before it finally came off...

I just hope that sprocket is gonna come off a bit easier now.

The cam gear may be even harder. Soak it good with PB Blaster or Croil. If you lucky, the holes in the pulley are threaded and you can make a puller. If not you can tap the holes.

Or very carefully put two large blade flat screw drivers behind the rim and work it out just a little, then tap it back. Keep on doing this until you break the rust free.

Understand the crank seal is right behind the crank gear. I've seen the trashed and a new Oil pump needed.

I've wondered if all the pulling and prying on these stubborn pulleys contributes to their self-destruction? When they get old, I'm sure that rubber doesn't like the beating.

Not that I'm saying it isn't necessary to get the damn thing off the car, but ya know, just speculating.

on my first time i was ignorant and thought i needed a puller, so i borrowed one from auto zone, threaded the 2 holes in the pulley, and off it came. no banging or prying or breaking any thing.

second time it came off in my hand.

i envy the guys who get to work on their cars in a completely stocked shop with a lift. think of all the time and brain cells you could save by not having to figure out the right order for jacking and blocking needed to get the car in just the right position. or not having to search for a pipe large enough to fit over your breaker bar handle or where your wife moved it when you left it lying in the yard.

sure, it looks like trash, but it's really my 'special tool'. :banana:

haha yes the 'special tools'. I have many scraps of wood and stuff that have been turned into special tools so I always write 'NOT SCRAP' with a a sharpie hoping it will stand a chance.

This my 1-1/4" brutus tool in action:

nope she wouldn't budge:

breaker-nogo.jpg

Ah that's more like it:

breakergo.jpg