Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl-10 fully adjustable rear coilover suspension

zydecobro

^thanx, this is what i was looking for. I had to jack my car way up to ride properly with the spring perch with what it has.

Yep, the Miata rears are a few inches shorter than EA82 4WDs, and there are more aftermarket options than EJ fronts....including AGXs. That's what I ran in the back of my wagon with the 5-lug and 17x8 Rotas.

• 8 years later...
On 5/17/2009 at 10:43 PM, Numbchux said:

12" eibach springs and KYB GR2s that currently reside in the rear of my XT6:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/XT6/DSCF0281.jpg

Do you have any images of this setup? I'm searching for a way to get a slammed look on an XT6, and with the XT specific forums no longer active, you seem to be the guy to ask. 

I love the look of this Alcyone, but I have a feeling it might be FWD. 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/11/subaru-alcyone-xt/

10 hours ago, cycollin said:

Do you have any images of this setup? I'm searching for a way to get a slammed look on an XT6, and with the XT specific forums no longer active, you seem to be the guy to ask. 

I love the look of this Alcyone, but I have a feeling it might be FWD. 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/11/subaru-alcyone-xt/

Those eibach springs and GR2s are still on my XT6 (in pretty sorry condition). They ride taller than stock.

36995446860_e0d3b9e11a_c.jpg

I believe that Japanese one in that speedhunters article is 4WD. It's a turbo with a 4EAT, and I see the height control button, meaning it had factory air suspension. Pretty unlikely to have all that and FWD.

Here's the setup I had on my Loyale. NB Miata shocks with coilover sleeve springs. This is Miata front shocks, the rears are about 4" shorter.

Or, if you don't care about ride quality. Grab some ebay coilover sleeves in a ludicrous spring rate, slip them over the stock shocks with no bump stop, and look baller (this was awful to drive on the street. I did an AutoX on a nice smooth runway once, it did well with that):

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/PICT3068.jpg

Edited by Numbchux

On 3/31/2022 at 5:07 PM, Numbchux said:

Those eibach springs and GR2s are still on my XT6 (in pretty sorry condition). They ride taller than stock.

I believe that Japanese one in that speedhunters article is 4WD. It's a turbo with a 4EAT, and I see the height control button, meaning it had factory air suspension. Pretty unlikely to have all that and FWD.

Here's the setup I had on my Loyale. NB Miata shocks with coilover sleeve springs. This is Miata front shocks, the rears are about 4" shorter.

Or, if you don't care about ride quality. Grab some ebay coilover sleeves in a ludicrous spring rate, slip them over the stock shocks with no bump stop, and look baller (this was awful to drive on the street. I did an AutoX on a nice smooth runway once, it did well with that):

Eibach springs is pretty good first 30k miles and then they drop.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:07 AM, Numbchux said:

Still looks sweet in the snow though. 

Nice find on the Miata shocks. I read that thread of yours before I found this one, and was pretty impressed at the amount of experimentation you went through. Ride quality is important, so I've put sleeves as my last resort. 

I didn't even think about the height control button! The author of that article mentioned the car was on a "decent static drop" which I initially assumed to be referring to the shock components, but I'm now realizing could be referring to the amount of drop they achieved. I'm hoping it was the former, but I can't figure out how they would have achieved it unless it was custom work. I tried to find "Minority Car Custom Association" on google but didn't have any luck. That article seems to be the only place the car exists on the internet, unless I need to search in Japanese. Guess I better start language studies :lol:

21 hours ago, cycollin said:

Nice find on the Miata shocks. I read that thread of yours before I found this one, and was pretty impressed at the amount of experimentation you went through. Ride quality is important, so I've put sleeves as my last resort. 

I was trying really hard. It's a shame I wasn't able to follow it through, but it was just too rusty.

Nothing wrong with sleeves, IF the spring rate and damping match well. I've been running a pair of those same sleeves, with softer springs, in the rear of my Celicas for nearly 10 years (across 2 different cars). They ride excellently.

I have to admit I’m running a sleeve kit in the front of my brumby/brat. Spring rate is unknown and are definitely on the stiff side too far. 

I’m looking into experimenting with two other spring options I have that will only cost me my time - the other set of springs that came in the kit, they’re a smaller diametre so I’d imagine are a lower rating, the other option is a set of front Honda Civic/Prelude/Integra (possibly) springs - the ones ppl put in the back of their L series. I’ve got a set off an ‘89 Prelude to try out if they’ll fit the way I hope they will. 

The biggest advantage of the sleeve kit that I can see is that you don’t have to find a specific coil over to make the front end work with the hub knuckle hanging off the bottom of the strut. The dampening rate seems to be ok for what I want with the coil over sleeve kit.

Cheers 

Bennie