Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl-10 fully adjustable rear coilover suspension

zydecobro

'88 Soob GL-10 4" lift REAR SHOCK PROBLEM SOLVED, fully adjustable rear suspension. In my pics you ll notice that I have them adjusted most of the way out still have about an 1" to go, after installation I probably could drop it another 1" but if the car is fully loaded that will level it out total cost 75.00 plus shipping what you get is in the pics everything an no mods just install an enjoy, I did install mine on KYB gas adjust shocks, they will work on your stock shocks also you car will handle much better heres a link to look at pics of my installation and yes the kit does come with spanner wrinches of course I think installing longer coil would be better but for a cheap kit you could later go out an put 87 honda front coils cut them down and install so far this set up is working for me just fine http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=708279008/PictureID=22957554008/a=78914041_78914041[/color

Edited by zydecobro

generic coilover sleeves are hardly fully adjustable. they're a good option, but really only ideal for slamming a car. most of them are faaaaar to stiff to yield good performance results on anything but a perfectly flat course. and shocks stiff enough to accompany them don't really exist for older subarus.

huh, this set is working awesome, 4" lift fully loaded no squating and no

absolutely no bottoming out, Im happy just thought i would share with everyone here, also my load on the gl is three mtbikes a kayak and camping gear then a 300mile drive to the lake cant complain and the ride when not loaded is really not stiff what so ever. someone needs to their homework

because ive done mine

homework? since you've done yours, what spring rate are those? you may have gotten lucky and gotten a set with a reasonable spring rate, but more than likely, your sidewalls are smoothing out the bumps (I, admittedly, didn't notice that your wagon was lifted......hope you don't do any wheeling that requires full suspension travel.....)

I ran generic (said "R1 Racing" on the box....I've not seen anything by that name since) sleeves for about 2 years on my wagon that looked almost identical to the ones you have. 2 were 450 lb/in, and the other 2 were 500. I usually ran the stiffer ones in the rear, but it didn't really make much difference. I ran them on numerous different shock setups, 4-lug, 5-lug, stock subaru rears, monroes, and then on to the miata setup. I finally ditched them when they broke the shock rod on one of my miata shocks.

I have been running Ground-Control ones with genuine Eibach springs 250 lb/in in front and 275 in the rear for about a year now. I've been doing nothing but homework over the last couple years trying to find a decent dampening option to go with the springs. finally got an application that works like it should, hope to actually drop the cash on KYB AGXs, so I'll at least have some adjustability.

but even then, it'll just be a generic "stiffness" dampening adjustability. a true fully adjustable setup would allow ride height adjustment without effecting spring preload. separate bound and rebound adjustments on the shocks, etc.

if you'd done your homework, you would have seen these.....but then, you wouldn't be telling me off. so here are some shots of some of the setups I've experimented with over the last 4 years or so.

stock impreza, R1 sleeve, GC8 STi "pink" spring

attachment-1.jpg

EA82, BE Legacy

PICT2881.jpg

with this setup, I was constantly bottoming out the stock rear shocks:

PICT3068.jpg

NA Miata rear, EA82 rear, NA Miata front, BE Legacy rear:

PICT3081.jpg

R1 sleeve, NA miata rear shock, EA82 upper mount:

PICT3086.jpg

on the car:

PICT3227.jpg

PICT3397.jpg

too much preload (NB miata front shock with 12" long eibach spring):

PICT3649Medium.jpg

12" springs and EA82 shocks (these happen to be Monroes):

PICT4676.jpg

PICT4674.jpg

EA82 rear vs NB Miata front:

PICT3582.jpg

Ground-control sleeves:

PICT4651.jpg

mounted on the miata shock in my wagon:

PICT4673.jpg

12" eibach springs and KYB GR2s that currently reside in the rear of my XT6:

DSCF0281.jpg

welcome to the site. but be careful who you tell to do their homework

EDIT: lol @ the king :)

:eek:uhhh zydecobro you just talked suspension smack with the frickin suspension master. All those pictures he posted, no joke. Thank you for your advise on the adjustable coilover suspension but be cautious as to who you rut up with.

Welcome to the Board.:)

Ben

Edited by The Dude Abides

im sure at one time someone said lifting a soob is not good

either, so please elaborate...

not necessarily bad. but defeats the purpose. it drastically limited what little suspension travel there is, and therefore greatly reduce the offroad capability.

the only upside would be that you can haul more stuff without squishing the suspension. but you'll still squish the car. it isn't a truck. it won't hold up to hauling real heavy loads for very long.

im sure at one time someone said lifting a soob is not good

either, so please elaborate...

I don't really care to elaborate. You don't seem to be here to learn - rather you have come here to show off and argue. No one is impressed and your attitude will not engender my experience. My time is too valuable.

As for adjustable suspentions - I have a friend that put air shocks from a camaro on his 5" lifted hatch..... 5 years ago. There is nothing new about this. (hat's off to Chux though as he pioneered the non-lifted EA82 suspension research).

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

ahh, it articulates. I didnt put bricks on the damn thing not to mention

I also am changing to longer coil 12" 325lbs an yes I know its not a discovery of mine I just wanted to share my rear suspension pictures for those who are looking for adjustablility not just pop in honda coils that are too stiff and set to high with out any adjustment so thank you a$$ for interest :grin:

I don't really care to elaborate. You don't seem to be here to learn - rather you have come here to show off and argue. No one is impressed and your attitude will not engender my experience. My time is too valuable.

GD

if its so valuable than why do u post so much?

hey numbchux, as for the top strut mount in the rear, did you fabricate a new plate to mount to? I can't imagine that being terribly hard, just some cutting/welding/fitting, etc.

also, did you remove the torsion beam from the rear crossmember to let the car solely sit on the struts?

I'm intending to make my '84 GL-10 Coupe into more of a street-driven race-type car, so this is a really cool setup.

~Erik~

if its so valuable than why do u post so much?

Bad move dude.

I've semi-butted heads with GD, and you don't want to do a full boar attack on

him.

You're currently doing a reeeeeeaally good job of pissing him off.

I suggest you change course soon, or get your @$$ handed to you on a silver

freaking platter.

And DON'T try to screw with me.

Twitch

• 4 years later...