Ultimate Subaru Message Board

worth it?

Uberoo

my 84 GL is gutless right now. Between the 235's and the messed up craptachi it can barely get out of its way.So it needs more power. I was thinking SPFI conversion or ej22. I put this in the offroad section because it mostly pertains to offroading.

How much power will the SPFI conversion help offroad? Will it be very noticable or just a little bit more pep? I know its alot cheaper to go SPFI and that helps because money is almost non existant right now,But I also know that the EJ swap would give more power than I would know what do with.

The EJ is much more expensive because I would want to hear the engine run before it was pulled so a cheap parts legacy would be in order.

Would it make much sense to convert to SPFI now then 6 months to a year from now convert to ej?Or would I better off just dealing with piss poor power and not so stellar mpg(about 17-20 with out the 235's) until I can save up for the EJ?

Edited by Uberoo

I hate carbs.
yeah, they're rather antiquated and annoying too.

based on finances and time, waiting until you're ready for an EJ swap is probably the best bet. spend some time searching, i've been offered free and seen really cheap EJ's before. just look for one that's been wrecked or has a blown trans or something.

I hate carbs. A weber works fine on the street but I like to climb steep hills and such...

the gearing/tires are still gonna bea big issue. I've had plenty of times where I was still getting fuel to my weber and built ea81, but just bogged down because I couldn't keep the tires going.

Most of the time, the angles bad for the weber were on downhill runs. up hills are usually fine except for extreme stuff....

since money is an issue,I'd go the SPFI route on the ea81.... you can get the parts cheaper than a weber.... and then you're fine with steepness....

Only time I've had problems with the carb not feeding the engine was on a down hill at an angle. And I was more concerned about it rolling then if the engine was running. I doubt even with a welded rear diff that you could go up something steep enough to stop a weber.:confused:

But if you hate carbs and don't want to play probably best to ignore them. If SPFI acts like a brand new weber then you will gain a fair amount of low end torque over what you have now. I reckon you'll still have problems pushing those tyres though.. Even with an EJ in some situations I reckon you'll have problems.

I hate carbs. A weber works fine on the street but I like to climb steep hills and such...

I've had a Weber on my brat forever, and never had any problem with it, way more power and no problems with hills...................

Jeff

EJ it, ive done SPFI swaps and noticed it easier to start, but that was it.

when the EA82 i had in my 86 tanked i wanted to just toss in another EA, but after trying to find one and coming to the realization that its a garbage engine i put the EJ in mine. now i will never go back and i will EJ swap any EA81 or EA82 car i buy in the future. that is if i ever sell my lifted wagon i have now.

just find a better carb for now and put stock size wheels/tires until you go wheelin. save the money for the swap.

If you where to put and EA82 SPFI in it there would be a world of difference in power................ I have an EA81 in my Wagon with a gen3 intake and carb. I have very little top end power but all the low end you could ever want. If you where to just pick up a Weber things would be a lot different and you would not have to change out your wheels and tires from stock to the big mud tires.

Jeff

Hey dont knock the weber it is a carb that is easy to rebuild on and off a trail if well tuned and the float is right you should have no hill ascent or decent problem they were made for serious racing and extreme angles dont believe me go on the yota forums 95% of the 22r 4x4 motors running cams and lots of compression and bore use this carb you cant expect bolt ons to make anything extreme but in a motor world 2 to 4 more horse make a difference.

Besides that carb will still run with electrical issues going through it also as long as the pump can pump the carb can disperse for the burn.

another advantage no computer no extra emission stuff no $200 o2 sensors. no mass flow controls no lean burn solenoids no electrical demons

for four wheeling I like to go simple plus its a lifted jacked up subie who cares if it has no power look at it.

It is a underpowered work of art and I love it solid axles and gearing are for easy going when I get old right now I still feel like foot on the floor and balls to the wall.

More power = more likelihood of breaking things. Just a thought

but it can also give the option of using the torque of the engine to better get over something.Rather than the low powered approach of dropping the clutch and hoping for best...

besides didnt you say some time ago "with the EA81 and a welded diff I needed lots of throttle to get over something,with the EJ I can just about idle up it"

or something to that effect.I believe it was shortly after you finished your EJ swap into your red brat?

more power doesnt increase breakage by itself, but combine that with more throttle...Or in my case a lack of power,lack of traction+ full throttle+momentum approaches= lots broken parts...

Edited by Uberoo

At that point there was something wrong with my carbies, and obviously the EFI on the EJ was working properly. Plus, now I've learnt how to drive better offroad I no longer need that EJ torque with my 27" tyres.

The EJ's are fun to put in, play around with for a while. But for me I just lost interest in them because they are a ****in PITA to work on/with compared to the EA81. EFI always going wrong. Timing belts sliping due to mud. CEL popping up ever other day. IAC valve always screwing you over. $$$ to fix anything with it. That's why I'm back with my EA81 dualie, and converting it to webers.

I'm not saying the EJ is bad, its just not for me atm. I do plan on getting a late 90's Liberty (Legacy) in the near future though. But I won't be offroading that like I offroad my 83 sedan. I'm building a trailer and my brother just bought a towing rig so I'm going towards purpose built toys now.

JUMP-IN

Phiz,I agree duel-carb IS the way to go.

Duel-carbs will have ...a quicker throttle reponse

...a higher torque range

...a higher rpm horsepower

...better fuel mileage

Sadly, duel-carb set-ups are very hard to find in the States.I've been running a gen 1 EA71 w/duel-carbs for awhile,and I'LL NEVER GO BACK.

P.S.:lol:

always accepting donations of those manifolds:lol::grin:

I have an ea82, but I switched from carb to SPFI... now I'm seeking more power for the street with 235s. It wheels ok, but it just needs more grunt. This site is The Fellowship of the Carb, but I haven't touched any of my FI setups since I have installed them. I'm also wheeling at a MUCH higher elevation then I live, so to me it's a much better option.

I also get about 24 mpg with my wagon, but my stock tire'd spfi ea81 brat got in the 30's

SPFI swap now, then you will have identified all the tie in points for the FI harness, and installed a high pressure pump, mounted an FI airbox, etc....

Then when you are ready for the EJ, you can get you're adapter and flywheel, and you will be all set to go.

I was almost considering setting up 4 500CC motor cycle carbs on the thing.Then I relealized how much of a pain it would be to set the carbs up...

bad things happen when you are in your friends shop with LOTS of misc parts..

problem is the 4 carbs would be the cheapest because the parts would be free.Just the set up and tuning would be difficult.Although I suppose because of the intake design a dual carb setup would work better.SPFI would be second cheapest,ej would be the best, but the most expensive.

phizinza do you have any pics of the dual carb setup?what carbs etc?

Mine are standard Jap import 101hp EA81 dual carb motor carbs, in other words Craptachi's. I've got some IDF 36's to go on, just need to make a new set of intake manifolds which I really should get around to soon as my car bearly drives atm when cold and not to great when warm.

A single weber is better then dual hitachi's IMO.

subaru_brumby_twin_dual_carbies.jpg

• 5 years later...

Mine are standard Jap import 101hp EA81 dual carb motor carbs, in other words Craptachi's. I've got some IDF 36's to go on, just need to make a new set of intake manifolds which I really should get around to soon as my car bearly drives atm when cold and not to great when warm.

A single weber is better then dual hitachi's IMO.

subaru_brumby_twin_dual_carbies.jpg

any progress on quad carb(IDF) heads(EA71)???