Ultimate Subaru Message Board

keeping the wheel from spinning tool

DaveAP

When I need to keep the wheel locked while removing the axle nut or rotor bolts.

I use a length of unistrut. I fits right over two lug bolts perfect. Mine is about 3-4 ft. long. The end rests on the ground the other end over the two bolts, just watch buggering up the threads.

Unistrut is a piece of channel steel, predrilled with oblong holes about every 2-3 inches, used to mount hvac or other equipment.

Peace... out, Dave.

'78, '87 brats

Interesting. When I was more active yanking axles at PAP I used a box wrench around one stud and braced against the next stud, a two foot pipe to get some leverage, and a couple of wheel rims to brace it against. Worked for me at the time.

Ed, how do you define "less active"? The older I get the more it seems I have to do.

Just turned 56. Dave.

Biggest change is that I don't have a EA82 car anymore. Impreza and Forester axles are easy. Only EA81 I have left if the Brat and I have lots of spares for it. The other advantage I might have is the kids have all moved out.:grin:

I've used uni-strut for years and never thought of that use...

I have an extra long tire iron for that purpose. Rest the socket end on the floor/ground and slip the other end between two lugs.

Thinking I may have a length of uni-strut out in the garage. If not, I know I can get some from work.....