Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Tool for your Junkyard tool bag.....

it can be used with either a 1/2 " breaker, or a hammer. the VW rear axle nuts need to be torqued down to like 280 ft/lbs or something....

also, the Axle installer I have is actually a VW part as well, but I just noticed it. has VW and Made in Germany stamped on the side in very tiny, thin letters.

I've got one in my box and have used it a couple times when I didn't plan on pulling an axle. A hammer is the most effective method and it doesn't work nearly as well as the big 3/4" breaker bar with cheater pipe. But it does the job in a pinch!

I think the idea is that you put the breaker bar in the slot, and apply pressure while hammering on the side of the axle tool. This way there is less bounce. Basically a ghetto impact wrench in a way.....

Went over to busdepot.com as sugested and got one - $13.66 (with shipping). Hopefully it will save me from breaking breaker bars all the time.

GD

Yeah - I noticed that. Nowing nothing about VW busses, I looked at your sig, and clicked on a link that would take me to the 78 model year stuff - and there I saw the 46mm one. Figured that wouldn't work, and that you must be talking about older or newer - so I looked around, and got the 36mm one by clicking on a link to the older bus parts....

Thanks for the link - I probably could get one local for cheaper, but that would mean I would have to drive somewhere, etc. I'm lazy.

GD

i've already got the socket in my toolbox, and i always take my breaker bar to the yard.. thanks anyway! :P

I usually leave the toolbox and socket set in the car (covered up) and go scout the yard, make a short list of what i want to get, and then go back to the car and put the tools i need in a tote, then go have fun. or i'll check out a wheelbarrow. not all yards allow for this technique though..

i'll usually take a couple screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutter, and 10-12-14 wrenches and sockets/ratchet if i'm just going to go banzai without scouting first. and handwarmer packets this time of year :D

Yes - but you don't need the "big" breaker bar, or the cheater pipe. You could even use a socket wrench to put the pressure on it, and I always carry a hammer.

I carry everything but the kitchen sink when I go into the yard. Most yards I go to have wheel barrows, or they have "yard cars" that can transport my big stuff for me.

GD

:D :D :D :D I have had one for years in fact I posted about it a couple times on the old board I had it since I owned a bug and have used it on the bug and a few subies and yes make sure to get the one for bugs cause of the late model busses used the bigger axle nut

in fact my tool is sorta mushroomed on one side from removing bug axle nuts since they are torqued to about 250 lb/ft :D