Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Lights on Brumby do not work, Any ideas why?

Brake Lights on my Brumby do not work, Any ideas why?

My warning lights do not come up on the dash that they are not working so I didnt no they had stopped working.

The rear red night lights do light up when switched on.

Ive had a trailer on the back and those rare lights dont come on either.

Ive checked Fuses and they dont seem to be blown.

Thanks

Hi This is Jerry, have you check the brake light switch it is under the dash on the brake peddal. Thanks Jerry

I havnt had a chance to check that.

It used to be intermintant fault.

The brake lights worked but sometimes it would stop working but when it did that the dash light would light up.

Then I could go over a bump and it would work again and the dash light would go out :confused:

I suggest you get a test light probe so you can verify where power is getting to and it is not. Check the brake light switch first. If that isn't getting power then check the fuse for power on both sides of it.

If the warning lights don't turn on with the key turned to ON then check the power to the lights after the ignition switch. The ignition switch or the connector to it may have a problem.

Actually ive got another random thing my brumby does. I do not know if it has any tie ins with same problem ive talked about above.

If I leave my car on acc but not have the motor running the indircater stays on and wont flash.

But if the motor runs the indircater flashes

I havnt had a chance to check that.

It used to be intermintant fault.

The brake lights worked but sometimes it would stop working but when it did that the dash light would light up.

Then I could go over a bump and it would work again and the dash light would go out :confused:

I had a similar problem. It turned out that the fuse holder was too loose. Try wiggling the appropriate fuse and see if you can replicate the results that way.

I bent a fuse a little to get it to stick in, and it's been fine since.

Jacob

I had a similar problem. It turned out that the fuse holder was too loose. Try wiggling the appropriate fuse and see if you can replicate the results that way.

I bent a fuse a little to get it to stick in, and it's been fine since.

Jacob

Thanks for that. I stuck a wee screw driver between those fuse holder thingy and pushed them closer togeather and now it works with with the motor off.

I suggest you get a test light probe so you can verify where power is getting to and it is not. Check the brake light switch first. If that isn't getting power then check the fuse for power on both sides of it.

If the warning lights don't turn on with the key turned to ON then check the power to the lights after the ignition switch. The ignition switch or the connector to it may have a problem.

checked those.

the rest of the lights seem to work fine

http://mshoup.us/docs/fsm/EA81/83/Chapter15-Electrical_System.pdf

page 15-40 gives a short breakdown on the stop light checker.

page 15-157 gives more info on it, and has wiring diagram.

There are a few connections in the rear wiring of a BRAT/Brumby, this list is what I found in a '86 that I scrapped. RHD may be on opposite side, don't know.

connections behind the RH tail light, feeds over to LH side and it's connection

another set of connections behind the front RH panel in the bed,

one more set of connections behind the RH B pillar trim,

more connections behind the RH kick panel,

then the connection at the dash unit itself.

The stop light checker relay is located behind the trim on the backwall of the cab. It's behind that bump right above the driveshaft tunnel.

The stop light indicator will only light with brakes applied if one bulb is out/not functioning. If both bulbs are out/not functioning, the light will not light.

It should light with key "on", engine "off" and while cranking engine. But that is just a test for the dash light itself.

Edited by TomRhere
I just kaint spel anemoor