Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gaskets-Subaru Phase 3 for EJ25 DOHC

Can someone verify the Subaru part #, and/or describe the gasket material's around the metallic gasket. I want to make sure before I use them that I wasn't sold on an older set.

The engine is a mid year 98. The original HG's had the black coating that flaked away. This newer type (Subaru part) has a 1/4 " silver gasket coating around each cylinder. It has a dark grey coating around the outside edge and bolt holes. I was told this was the phase 3 latest type, and cars are getting around 100k miles (average)on these. Still seems too early for an acceptable failure rate, but since they are new they haven't been out that long to tell.

There are other after market manufacturers and I was told by others that are holding up well, but decided to go with OEM.

The engine should be a 4 cam 2.5. If it is it takes the multilayer metal gasket that is almost shiny.

If its a 2 cam 2.5 SOHC then it takes a grey graphite colored gasket. This one is alot thinner than the 4 cam gasket.

Have access to a cameraphone or a digi camera? If you do take a pic of the gasket and email it to me at shawnw@ultimatesubaru.org

The engine should be a 4 cam 2.5. If it is it takes the multilayer metal gasket that is almost shiny.

If its a 2 cam 2.5 SOHC then it takes a grey graphite colored gasket. This one is alot thinner than the 4 cam gasket.

Have access to a cameraphone or a digi camera? If you do take a pic of the gasket and email it to me at shawnw@ultimatesubaru.org

Shawn,

I send you the picture and this is a EJ25 DOHC.