Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81-ej22

Uberoo

I am thinking about converting my 84 offroad beast to EJ22.Right now the EA81 has blown headgaskets and could probally use a rebuild.I could rebuild it but then I would be left with a shortage of power and a carb. I figure I might as well start gathing bits for the EJ swap and kill to birds with one stone. I have some questions as it is:

Will I need to notch the frame rails to fit the EJ22 in the 84 GL?

Will I need to grind out the motor mount holes?

What is required to adapt the EJ to the EA81 4 speed DR?(I know I could go 5 speed but this is an offroad toy,I dont need the fith gear.Besides I have a late 4 speed so my 4th is roughly equal to 5th on 5 speed.1.59 low vs 1.42 would be nice but not worth the effort.)

how can I make a surge tank on the cheap?

Will I need to notch the frame rails to fit the EJ22 in the 84 GL?

No.

Will I need to grind out the motor mount holes?

A bit.

What is required to adapt the EJ to the EA81 4 speed DR?(I know I could go 5 speed but this is an offroad toy,I dont need the fith gear.Besides I have a late 4 speed so my 4th is roughly equal to 5th on 5 speed.1.59 low vs 1.42 would be nice but not worth the effort.)

You most definately need a 5 speed. You said it yourself - 5th gear is the same as 4th on your tranny. But 4th(5th) is basically unusable. The 5 speed gives you BACK the 4th gear you lost on your 4 speed. It makes 25 mph actually decent in 3rd gear. It gives you more gears on the low end (1 and 2) and better gear spacing on the high end (3, 4, 5), it has better low range, better linkage, and stronger syncro's. And it's not too much work - it requires mods only to the cross-member and since you are already lifted it will fit no problem.

how can I make a surge tank on the cheap?

I saw one made from a cheap water filter housing from home depot. PVC pipe would work I'm sure.

GD

meh. gearing issues are essentially moot. with the torque of an EJ22, the extra gear isn't really an advantage, and you'll be able to use the top gear of either trans.

I would definitely still recommend the 5MT though, just for the far-superior linkage and synchros.

I myself and currently looking into doing an ej22 swap into my '85 brat. Adding also a 5/sd D/r to replace the 4 sp. MY ea81 isn't being nice so its time to upgrade. I read once a full write up of the swap (25 page pdf) and now I can't find it regardless of searching. If anyone can point me towards it I would be extremely grateful.

neato.. I found a 92 legacy's wiring harness and computer for $18.I am already stripping the harness of excess fluff. for a 92 ej22 without AC,ABS, manual trans,cruise control,etc how many wires coming out of the computer get cut?hen I pulled the harness I cut the stuff that wasnt needed(wiper motor, ac stuff,etc) and im just pulling the cut wires out of the harness.A couple of times the wires end at one of the computer terminals which scares me.Most of the them are the other end of a cut wire or go into the SMJ(which will be fun in itself)

The last ej swap project I did a bunch of wires off the computer were cut(paid noah to strip the harness). I just get a little nervy when cutting wires from the ECU...Is there a rough total of wires of the ECU that are cut for the AC or ABS?so far I believe I have one or two wires that go nowhere off the ECU.

Edited by Uberoo

so I looked at a 92 ECU pinout I had

AC is B56 9 and F47 22 so those two will not have anything.

Then I will need to tap into B56 19 for the tach

F47 19 for the CEL

and B56 15 for the trouble code output.

can the CEL and the trouble code output wires be connected to the same light?

What does the ignition relay look like?I have removed all of the wires that were cut,Now I just have to remove the relays that I wont be needing.

Also, all of the remaining wires in the fuse panel, do I connect all of those into a single large power wire?

I may have made a mistake. The ignition amplifiler got cut.Were does the yellow/black strip wire go?Is it a ground?

Ok I hooked up the computer and traced the lines that were cut

F47 22 AC relay

*F47 18 TI* monitor

*B56 7 select monitor signal

*B56 8 select monitor signal

B56 9 AC switch

B56 10 starter relay

B58 10 Neutral Switch

B58 11 ????

What the hell do F47 18, B56 7, and B56 8 do? What is the TI monitor or select monitor?

What does B58 11 do? It is not marked in my pinout that I have.

Will the car start and run with B58 10 cut?With B58 10 cut does the ECU consider the car to be a manual?

Thanks in advance, Im worried that it will never start again with wires for the ecu cut...

I also got the legacy ignition switch. Which wire can I power the harness with switched power?I have a large black wire with a white strip,A large black wire with a blue strip,A smaller black wire and a small black wire with a yellow strip.

Edited by Uberoo

ok, select monitor is another way to check codes.Ok, hopefully, the two green connectors and the black connectors will be enough.

So to refresh all of my questions into one post:

One of the wires to the ignition controller got clipped. Where does the Yellow wire with a black strip go?The other wire goes to the computer.

Got the relays sorted out.

What wires on the harness need switched power and what wires need constant power?

I have a manual transmission so what do I do about the transmission identifier?The harness came from a manual so it should be fine just the way it is..I hope.

What to do with 49/cali identifier? The wire is in the harness,I dont know about the engine yet.Should I cut that wire out of the harness?

in the pinout it lists several wires with GND.Do I need hook those all up for proper grounding or are they grounded though their sensors,injectors,etc?

Can the CEL and trouble code display share the same light?

Edited by Uberoo

Hearing you talk about all this wiring stuff is getting me slightly nervous for my swap. However it also makes me smile because I know I can come back here and read your posts when I run into electrical problems and maybe find my answers within your findings. :clap:

What the hell is this? 2 wire sensor, or whatever.It looks like a super ground.It was mounted on the right inner fender under the AC stuff there on the 92 legacy.It is a nippon thing.The part number is 26740AA040.Says dont drop, Nippon ABS LTD, and Advance direction with an arrow pointing to the right.

SON OF A ***** the wire Ive been fussing with over the past couple of days is a FREAKING G FORCE SENSOR for the damn ABS.No wonder one of the wires was already cut...GRRRRR.

Now that that is taken care off, what wires do I need to hook up to switched 12V and constant 12V, and what are the grounds?