Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 ej25 deer hit timing i think has jumped poll

apparently when the rebuilder car my brother has just acquired hit the deer, the idler pulley brakcet, and fan shrouds cause the T belt to jump. the T belt is not damaged, its intact. The covers were slightly cracked. engine is DOHC EJ25

How many here think that the valves will be bent on the side that looks out of alignment?

the timing will be reset to correct tonight, and then we will run a compression check, so I will know soon, but how many here think the valves are gonna be trashed on the side that is not lined up?

if the compression check shows okay, the plugs will go bac in and will try to run it.

the car had been run at the auction, I myself did not hear it, but belts were squeeling and rubbing, and i guess it had a miss.

car histrry is it has 28,000 miles on it so that means try and save it

bh

Edited by bheinen74

Can that mileage be verified via CarFax or similar? The '99s have a history of bad speedometers, and they are often replaced.

pretty sure its actual the car is real clean and even the sticker on the glovebox for airbag warning is still there. but yeah who knows.

Depends how far off the timing is. Odds are the valves are fine. The miss is a little bothersome, but then again that could just be the timing. If it is 2 misses thats timing, if it is one then a bent valve.

nipper

pretty sure its actual the car is real clean and even the sticker on the glovebox for airbag warning is still there. but yeah who knows.

Wow, good deal then. Those low mile cars are out there, but rare like hen's teeth. My Grandma (age 89) only puts 200 miles per month on her Buick.

just got back from working on the bambi hit outback of my brothers

compression checked about 175 ish on all 4. looking good. I had to order in the new spark plugs today and they arrive in the morning, but according to the compression, should be fine. Starting off early Saturday, picking up the plugs and then off to check on a green fender, and the rest of the list. Pulled off the driver fender tonight, for practice if we find a good junkyarder. long parts list, but at least the engine should be good. yaya

Have parts to pull off my parts Brat too, and well, lots more to do.

That's good news!

Check the cam sprockets for cracks or damage. They are made of plastic and it doesn't take much to compromise them. You don't want to get it back together then have a sprocket come apart - bent valves are the likely outcome.

Edited by ron917

new plugs are installed, and it started right up, minus any radiator. Just orderd a radiatorbarn.com radiator

Junkyard search today for hood and fender and headlights turned up nothing. Went to 4 junkyards. I found yet another 5spd dual range tranny but did not take time to get it.

Just got done installed my center cyclops light on the Brat, wiring it tomorrow. bust weekend so far.