Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I use my car for work, and do a lot of U turns, out of culdesacs and whatnot. The car has begun to shuddle pretty badly when powering through a Uturn, or any other sharp turn under power, and when I let off I hear this aweful grinding of metal on metal. Is this my CV joints going bad, or is something else screwed up like my tierods or something? Thanks in advance.

sounds like wheel bearings to me

cvs usually click and pop when you turn sharp when they are going out

check the cv's by checking for up and down movement.. grab the shaft from under the car and pull straight down and then push up

(on the middle of the shaft)

They shouldnt have play going up and down, just side to side

Originally posted by Setright

There is the potential of a bearing getting so hot that it seizes and locks the wheel. This is extreme, and usually preceded by a lot of loud grinding/whirring noises, so keep your ears open, and start planning the bearing swap.

The CVs are old anyway. Perhaps I will keep my ears open as suggested and wait until I really need to make the repair. It could wait till this summer.

Thanks guys, and take care.

Regards,

dangers or bad wheel bearing? you axle could seize up. Add 55 mph to that and you got a flip into the ditch..

jack the car up and pull on the tires.

You can usually feel it by doing that if the bearings are going.

Wheels bearings arent too expsensive and arent too hard to replace. Not sure on the newer soobs if they have to be pressed out like the ones on my 86

Originally posted by torxxx

dangers or bad wheel bearing? you axle could seize up. Add 55 mph to that and you got a flip into the ditch..

jack the car up and pull on the tires.

You can usually feel it by doing that if the bearings are going.

Wheels bearings arent too expsensive and arent too hard to replace. Not sure on the newer soobs if they have to be pressed out like the ones on my 86

I will have the front end inspected soon anyway. Thanks!